DSLR cameras

Raphael1047

Established Member
I am looking to buy a DSLR camera and wanted people that own or have opinions on a certain camera to give me advise on which one to buy. So far I think the best one for me is the Nikon D3100 DSLR Camera, any pros or cons on this.

I read many reviews on many DSLR's but I wanted some reviews from people that use the camera the way i would, taking pictures of animals.

Also what lens works the best for you when taking photos.

my wife and i use a canon eos rebel t3i. the picture quality is absolutely stunning. we use a 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens the most. it's a very versatile lens that can take pics of a lot of different settings.

Hello,
Both cameras are great Nikon and Canon, the model you intend to buy is great, they hold their value.
I've owned the D40 (previous model series) and did wonders. See my port here: www.photorig.net
Strongly Recc. Your choice.

my wife and i use a canon eos rebel t3i. the picture quality is absolutely stunning. we use a 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens the most. it's a very versatile lens that can take pics of a lot of different settings.

Yes, i was also looking at the t3i, it seems that it is around $50-$100 more than the nikon I was looking at, depending if i get the bundle. I like the t3i because it seems to be a better camera than the nikon D3100 at least with the features and capabilities.

you can purchase it w/ the lens w/ that i mentioned above in a bundle. i couldn't be happier w/ it.

Hello,
Both cameras are great Nikon and Canon, the model you intend to buy is great, they hold their value.
I've owned the D40 (previous model series) and did wonders. See my port here: www.photorig.net
Strongly Recc. Your choice.

Are they basically the same quality photos, I know the MP are different, I just started looking into DSLRs. The camera I had can't focus for anything and now I am using my samsung s3 phone camera, which is way better at focusing than my 16mp samsung camera.

My wife has a couple Nikons a D50 and a D7000 they are both great cameras if you can get a macro lens they are great for baby close ups and eye pics.

Have a few friends with Canons and they love them as well.

If your primarily using it for taking shots of your pets and family almost any new dslr from Canon, Nikon, Sony, or Olympus would serve you well. Your primary expense should be the glass. It makes the biggest difference and all the above brands have excellent lenses available.

Go to dpreview.com and read their detailed reviews, you won't find a better resource for digital camera reviews anywhere.

Look at their sample pictures from each camera. Every brand's ccd and logic algorithms process colors and tone slightly different. If you like the "feel" of the pictures from a certain brand there is probably a reason. I still shoot with my old 10 mp Olympus dslr because I love how it renders tone.

The other important factor is to go to a camera store and play with each camera you're considering. They all feel different and have different ergonomics, menus, controls etc. It stinks to get a camera that had all the features but feels uncomfortable in your hands.

Finally, don't count mega pixels. More isn't always better, especially if they are crammed on a small ccd. Look for frames per second and a fast lens over megapixels.

I've been playing with cameras since... Well I thought digital was a stupid fad, for that long. And can give general tips, I'm not 100% up to date on the newest from the last few years but I've bought and used a lot of cameras over the years and above is what I've found to matter.

If your primarily using it for taking shots of your pets and family almost any new dslr from Canon, Nikon, Sony, or Olympus would serve you well. Your primary expense should be the glass. ... Go to dpreview.com and read their detailed reviews, you won't find a better resource for digital camera reviews anywhere.

I agree - Look at the sample photos as suggested. The way they handle red or chrome or whatever can be slightly different and each persons needs/preferences differ.

DanSB - have you noticed any change / bias since Amazon bought dpreview?

I agree - Look at the sample photos as suggested. The way they handle red or chrome or whatever can be slightly different and each persons needs/preferences differ.

DanSB - have you noticed any change / bias since Amazon bought dpreview?

Amazon is very good in general at providing a forum for unbiased reviews. Their business model is set up to sell everything so there is little incentive for them to push anything in particular. Camera companies used to offer incentives for camera sales people to push certain models. It used to really be impossible to get true unbiased reviews for that reason and dpreview was about the only place to get them. The biggest change I've noticed is more catering to normal consumers and less to camera nerds. The reviews have a bit less depth, and some key models seem to be missing.

To be honest though I used to read every word of every review and subscribed to multiple photography magazines so I really knew everything going on, the last few years not so much. I kind of wandered away I need to get back...

Thanks for the website, I am leaning towards the t3i, the photos look better in quality.

Does anyone have an opinion on this screw on macro lens?
Macro lens link

I don't own this particular model but have purchased and used lots of similar devices. They are a cheap way to get macro shots and do work, but with a much worse quality and generally image distortion than you would get with a lens that has a built in macro or a dedicated macro lens.

This is not really a lens, it is a filter that goes on a lens. They are fun and I used to carry them on trips when I didn't want to lug around all my lenses.

If you're going for macro I always preferred the extension tubes to the macro filter. Those have their own challenges but in my opinion they tend to provide better image quality. My experience here is mostly with film, but I don't think they modified the laws of physics that much.

If you're planning to do a lot of macro photography invest in a good macro lens, not a filter.

I'm not sure if they are still making lenses for Canons digital mount but both Tamron and Sigma make very passable inexpensive lenses if available.

+1 for the Canon T3i. Thats what I have and love it.

Back
Top Bottom