Dropped eggs...

maxttu

One of my tamatave gals just dropped 3 eggs this morning. Two inside the laying bin, on top of the soil and one cracked egg outside of the bucket. I anticipate more as the day moves forward.

She literally just drops them. No digging, despite having a 5gal bucket in her enclosure. Last month she dropped 13 eggs.

How would you go about getting a Cham to dig? Is there a secret? Shouldn't it be natural?

I would put her in the 5 gallon bucket so that she can't get out until she lays the eggs. I day or 2 in the bucker won't hurt her just give her some water and a light to keep her warm - but not hot.

Max, one of my females did the same thing so I changed the soil mix with a higher ratio of sand to soil and she dug and lay the rest, remember you and I spoke about it a while back. She may just not like what's in the bin.

I would put her in the 5 gallon bucket so that she can't get out until she lays the eggs. I day or 2 in the bucker won't hurt her just give her some water and a light to keep her warm - but not hot.

I considered this, but wasn't sure. I'll def do this if she hasn't already dropped the rest by time I get home from work. Thanks, Laurie!

Max, one of my females did the same thing so I changed the soil mix with a higher ratio of sand to soil and she dug and lay the rest, remember you and I spoke about it a while back. She may just not like what's in the bin.

Thanks, Steve. What kind of ratio? Soil/sand - 50/50? 60/40? 75/25?

I went to about 60 sand to 40 organic soil and now my other girl did it perfect the first time. I don't know why but some chams just like more sand???
Hope that works and Laurie had a good idea also, I made a large trash can with a uv light and spot with a plant so if one of the girls gets picky again I will put her into that.

I went to about 60 sand to 40 organic soil and now my other girl did it perfect the first time. I don't know why but some chams just like more sand???
Hope that works and Laurie had a good idea also, I made a large trash can with a uv light and spot with a plant so if one of the girls gets picky again I will put her into that.

I'll try this, but I'm not quite sure the soil is the problem. I've never seen her on the bottom or anywhere near the bottom to even know if she likes it or not. I'll try and fix it up this eve. Thanks, brah!

I never saw my girl near the lay bin and she was dropping eggs everywhere but as soon as I changed it she layed her eggs. One note the only way I knew she had layed was I could see dirt on her head and front legs,the bin looked un touched. I named her shyly due to her being so shy but my female tempest came down and started digging and layed while I was working in the Cham room and watching her!!! She didn't care if I was watching her... Go figure????

Ok, I've decided to mix in some sand, maybe give her some privacy and place her in a trash can to do her deed. :) Wish us luck!

My girls seem to really like a mix of 50/50 sand and Eco Earth. They don't get as exhausted from the process as the Eco Earth is lighter than regular dirt or potting soil.

My girls seem to really like a mix of 50/50 sand and Eco Earth. They don't get as exhausted from the process as the Eco Earth is lighter than regular dirt or potting soil.

Shauna!! Thanks for the input! I'll look into this as well. I need to figure it out soon, before she drops the whole clutch.

Shauna!! Thanks for the input! I'll look into this as well. I need to figure it out soon, before she drops the whole clutch.

Even if she drops them all, just give them something soft to land on and they should be ok. At least you know she's not going to get eggbound:)

So Tammy spent 10+ hours yesterday digging, sitting and filling her hole in. After lights out last night, she dropped 6 eggs. So far this morning she has dropped 4 more. Why spend all that time digging and filling just to drop on the ground? Grrr...

That's 13 total eggs dropped since last week. She still looks full of eggs. I had a 4 day weekend and of course she picked last night and this morning to start dropping! Now I'm at work and can't concentrate on anything but how many eggs I'll be coming home to! Lil brat! ;)

I would be concerned about the spaces in between her egg laying! Although she's WC isn't she? And I don't know if that changes things. 13 isn't a full clutch either is it? Haha I'm asking more than I'm helping :)

Since she's digging now its kind of irrelevant but you might want to try digging a test hole for her next time. She might even lay her eggs in it if its suitable.

I would be concerned about the spaces in between her egg laying! Although she's WC isn't she? And I don't know if that changes things. 13 isn't a full clutch either is it? Haha I'm asking more than I'm helping :)

Since she's digging now its kind of irrelevant but you might want to try digging a test hole for her next time. She might even lay her eggs in it if its suitable.

All good statements and questions, Angie! This isn't the 1st time that she has done this.

She dropped with Biffle and this is the 2nd time that she has dropped with me. I thought for sure that she laid yesterday, so I'm going to do some digging tonight after work. ;)

It's not a good thing that she is dropping eggs and that she filled in the hole IMHO. I wish I could tell you what to do about it.

UPDATE: I just dug up 14 eggs!! She had dropped 11! 25 total! Woot woot!!

e7uvaqeq.jpg

vy9u5atu.jpg

How is she behaving now?? Did she returned the branches? Eat? Drink? Keep an eye on her and if she shows signs of decline take her to a vet right away. It could mean retained eggs.

Back
Top Bottom