Dripper Problems

CNorton

Avid Member
big_dripper.jpg

I have the Big Dripper. I can never seem to get a good steady drip going...it's always too fast (2+drips/sec) or no drip at all. The spigot/valve seems incapable of being adjusted without pouring out water or stopping altogether. I've tried using the replacement spigot but I experienced more of the same. Anybody else experience this problem?

I haven't heard the best reviews from the Big Dripper. I know people have this problem often.

I have the little dripper and have the same problems. I have to mess with it an awful lot to get it to one drip, but it does happen. I found by moving the rotational device vertical two notches, it gives me a one drip. You just kinda have to be patient and wait for it to happen.

Ditto on this end too, the plastic valve supplied simply lacks the type of precision required to control a slow and consistent flow of water. Integrating a brass-construction air control valve into the works will give you the precision that you're looking for. This device is used for aquariums to distribute air flow to various aquarium devices. In our case, it's used to precisely control the rate of water flow.

Use the standard valve supplied with your Little or Big Dripper, stub a line from it and install a brass air valve at the other end. Open the supplied plastic valve fully, and control the amount of water disbursement at the brass valve side. Better yet, you can purchase a multiple gang valve in the event you want to disburse water to multiple cages.

Prior to integrating a brass valve assembly, my Big Dripper behaved in the same fashion as you have described. Moreover, I would set it to drip at approx 1-drip per second during the morning set-up, then leave for work. I would arrive home in the late afternoon to find the unit non-functional, and with the Big Dripper at virtually the same water level. Since using the brass valve, I have yet to experience any hiccups whatsoever.

I use a Penn-Plax 2-gang valve, which can be purchased from most pet shops or tropical fish stores. Here's a link for a better description:
http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=2024

Hope this helps!!
Ron

Are the brass aquarium valves more acurate than the plastic aquarium valves? i am able to get my home made version dripping at the right rate, but... i do have to keep an eye on it as it will tend to stop. if i open it right up for a sec and then turn it back down it's good for another half day before it stops again.

You can go to a pet store (ACKK) and buy some plastic aquarium valves. They work much better. Personally, I think 2 drips/sec is pretty good. Chams need to see the water dripping.

i use a v8 bottle instead but i was wondering if you had a lid on the big dripper. ive experianced the dripper to stop occasionally due to negative air pressure in the dripper. leave the top open or you can play with the amount of air being let into the dripper. hope this helps with the flow or lack of flow.

I use the Flukers Mini Dripper. You can put it as slow or fast as you wanna go. I think they make a bigger one also.

order won ton soup, when finished, clean the container. Take a push pin, and poke a hole in the bottom. reinsert pin and wiggle it to increae flow rate. Works pretty well. Might have to raise it above the screen top of your cage to prevent the water from pooling.

I use a water bottle with a pin hole in the bottom or a handfull of ice cubes. He still gets misted with warm water everyday though. I made a fogger but he didnt seem to like it for some reason.

Ice cubes are not a good idea. I used them at first, but I watched the animals. They would vomit up their water after drinking from the melting cubes. Something about cold water made them purge. Also, it lowers their body temps from the inside out, which isn't a good thing, metabolically.

I make my own drippers. Try replacing your valve with one meant for aquarium air hose. Here's how: https://www.chameleonforums.com/drippers-19143/#post177210

I also think two drips a second is fine. In the morning my drippers are set to drip a few drips a second, which slows down as the water level and hence water pressure goes down. Then slower during the day, fast again in the evening.

And I agree melting ice cubes are unnatural and too cold

I use a ten litre resevoir above cage level, with aquarium flow adjustment valve. It goes through 5 litres in two days at 1 drop per sec.
In the morning its adjusted to fast flowing for ten minutes, until the cham drinks his fill, then slowed for the rest of the day.

'big dripper' is nowhere near big enough!

Incidently, its always room temp, I dont bother heating it. Temps dont drop below 65f here.

occasionally, maybe once a day now, I mist his plants lightly. When he was smaller I did so more often. Naturally, I do mist more during shedding.

I make my own with deli containers and the plastic air valve for fish tanks. I always end up with a leak even after gluing. I was wondering if I use a longer piece and attach it with plastic nuts and the soft washers. Anyone try this?

I use the Mist'r Lizard. It has different attachments so you can mist, spray or drip. You just pump the handle a few times, lock the handle down, and VOILA! A constant flow of water. It usually lasts about 15 minutes, and by then Mel is done drinking and is basking.

Ive got a little dripper...it took me a good 5minutes before i got a good steady drip...I have never had a problem with it

Maybe you can replace the valve on it with a smaller one??

Just an idea

big_dripper.jpg

I have the Big Dripper. I can never seem to get a good steady drip going...it's always too fast (2+drips/sec) or no drip at all. The spigot/valve seems incapable of being adjusted without pouring out water or stopping altogether. I've tried using the replacement spigot but I experienced more of the same. Anybody else experience this problem?

Take the Big Dripper back for a refund, use the money to build your own following Sandras Dripper Thread above.;)

Nick

After years of messing with drippers filling, dumping, adjusting and cleaning....:mad:

I made these automated drippers! they are connected to an ro unit and drain to a condenstion pump.
I have a solennoid valve that turns them on when the lights come on and turn off when the lights go off.

View attachment 10653

View attachment 10654

I really like the acrylic collection tray. Nice Job. How many cages do you drip, how much H2o do you go through a day, and what type and size pump do you use?

Nick
After years of messing with drippers filling, dumping, adjusting and cleaning....:mad:

I made these automated drippers! they are connected to an ro unit and drain to a condenstion pump.
I have a solennoid valve that turns them on when the lights come on and turn off when the lights go off.

View attachment 10653

View attachment 10654

Back
Top Bottom