dripper and misting??

maggiec

i’m looking to get a chameleon soon, and i have done research on them for a LONG time, but the only thing i can’t figure out is this: if i have a dripper for my chameleon, do i still need to mist his cage? or does the dripper just add an extra way for him to hydrate? also, if i were to go on vacation, what would i need to do?

Misting systems can add both drinkable water droplets and increase relative humidity in the enclosure so they provide additional benefits and better coverage of droplets than a dripper. I would think of a dripper as an adjunct to misting and fogging. It’s a way to offer a little water to see if they still want more hydration

check out this site for a great explanation
https://chameleonacademy.com/basics-hydration-for-chameleons/

For vacation, having an automatic mister is ideal since it will provide water to your Cham when you’re not around. They are great as long as you have a big enough water reservoir for the whole time your gone and you have drainage solutions that won’t overflow from all the water. A 5 gallon reservoir lasts more than a week for me.
I use a dosing pump and reservoir for my dripper as well so that can also run for a week while I’m gone

I have a mistking. They’re awesome, but they’re not inexpensive. The timer is great, the pump seems solid, have never had an issue with it

Here’s another one from Bill Strand. I refer to him a lot,but he’s done more for chameleon education than just about anyone
This episode goes through all three hydration methods but also does a comparison of the 4 main misters on the market. The show notes have a table breaking down his experience with each one
https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep9-chameleons-and-water/

Misting is great i use a mistking you can program your mistings to be over the week. but still feel i need a dripper too, it seems to stimulate there drinking behaviour even though though they don't necessarily drink the drips so to speak. I also supplement with hand mistings & water plants separately.

I quit using drippers a long time ago because they tend to add to much extra water into the equation. Misting is all you need, once you dial in the correct amount of misting sessions a day to keep Cham hydrated and plants watered your golden. I also own two mistkings and they are great pumps, that said I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another of these cheap ones if I needed it.

This is a cheap misting pump I have had running six heads for about two years with zero issues. It is louder than the mistking, but it’s really not an issue as it only runs for a minute or two at a time.

https://m.banggood.com/Reptile-Viva...mds=search&act_poa=SKU724058&cur_warehouse=CN

i’m looking to get a chameleon soon, and i have done research on them for a LONG time, but the only thing i can’t figure out is this: if i have a dripper for my chameleon, do i still need to mist his cage? or does the dripper just add an extra way for him to hydrate? also, if i were to go on vacation, what would i need to do?
I think that may be kind of backward. I would mist before dripping and/or fogging, and depending on which species, your ambient RH, enclosure setup, and plant choices, you may not need a fogger or dripper at all. With a good misting regimen, there'll be plenty of water available for drinking. With the right enclosure setup & plants, RH will be maintained longer.

If you were to go on vacation, you'll need to be concerned with feeding as well as hydrating.
I would try to find someone I trust to care for the animal while I'm gone—maybe board if necessary.

If you can't build a DIY misting system, from my own research in the archives here, there are only 2 that I would consider—MistKing or CliMist.
Their prices are close, so I went with the MistKing, and most of the time, it's so quiet we don't know it's running—even in the next room.

Last edited:
another important note on hydration and really on many of the aspects of keeping, you will be able find successful keepers employing different techniques to satisfy the Chams requirements.
I would be hesitant to accept that there’s only one way to do it. If there’s a difference of opinion, try to learn how each option works and decide what will work best with your conditions and species of chameleon.

it’s much more important you understand why and how what you’re doing works that way you can adapt and adjust your techniques to optimize the animal’s health

Back
Top Bottom