drinking buddies AKA Melleri in the Mist

Sepioteuthis

Guin, Chaucer and Merlin were all sitting under the same misting nozzle today (and they have 8 to choose from). I decided that warranted a bit of photography. :)

Melleri in the Mist
drinkingbuddies4.jpg

Guin really wasn't as dark as he looks in these pics btw...
drinkingbuddies5.jpg

drinkingbuddies6.jpg

zoomed out a bit
drinkingbuddies7.jpg

Merlin barging through
drinkingbuddies8.jpg

"Well, it's been fun. Same time tomorrow?"
drinkingbuddies9.jpg

Thanks! I actually failed to photograph of funniest part (since my camera was at the opposite end of the house at the time) - at first Chaucer was drinking off of Guin's head. :D

Thanks! I actually failed to photograph of funniest part (since my camera was at the opposite end of the house at the time) - at first Chaucer was drinking off of Guin's head. :D
thats great! those are awesome photos
do they always interact so peacefully?
how big a space do you give them to roam together?

This made my day! I just set up a dripper for my little melleri for the first time and he gave me a funny look and just stared at the drips for several minutes before I started misting him as well.

They are not overly trusting. :D

if only i could put more than one melleri in my room. i would need to free range them in my whole room to get the amount of space needed. i would so do that. just my prnts wouldnt be to happy about it.

Great pics, Suzanne! I'm struck by the idea of them drinking off of each other, how cool and funny that must have been to see. They look great too!

thats amazing that they are together like that i wish i could set mine up like that but im sure they will kill each other.If they even see each other they turn into yellow spotted flounders!

Guin, Chaucer and Merlin were all sitting under the same misting nozzle today (and they have 8 to choose from). I decided that warranted a bit of photography. :)

Melleri in the Mist
drinkingbuddies4.jpg

Guin really wasn't as dark as he looks in these pics btw...
drinkingbuddies5.jpg

drinkingbuddies6.jpg

zoomed out a bit
drinkingbuddies7.jpg

Merlin barging through
drinkingbuddies8.jpg

"Well, it's been fun. Same time tomorrow?"
drinkingbuddies9.jpg

have you always had them all in the same cage?

have you always had them all in the same cage?

That isn't a cage; it is a whole room full of plants called a "free range".

Melleri are sort of an exception to the "one cham per enclosure rule" when you have a lot of space for them to get away from each other and you know your chams well. Mellers seem to be rather gregarious by nature and often times do well with others being nearby.

Suzanne, I haven't seen pics of your critters in a long while! They look fabulous. Thanks for sharing these few funny moments with us.

Cheers,
t

That is too funny! It made me lol!! I love the "Well, it's been fun. Same time tomorrow?"
I LOVED IT!!

Wow..they are absolutely gorgeous! I would love to get one someday, but I passed them up so far due to lack of experience with chams! They are so prehistoric looking!

They are beautiful! Its so cute how they grouped together to drink like that. A little water cooler party! Very cool.:p

Thanks everyone!

Kent67 said:
I'm struck by the idea of them drinking off of each other, how cool and funny that must have been to see.
It was! I don't think Chaucer actually realized she was drinking off of Guin's head. She had closed her eyes when the misting system came on and just started licking water off the first available surface. Guin seemed a little taken aback by this, but not enough to do anything about it. :)

do they always interact so peacefully?
Tempers run a little high during mating season and there have been a few times when I've had to separate one for a few days, but in general these three get along really well.
Guin and Chaucer are siblings from Kristina's '05 clutch and have been housed together pretty much all there lives (I had to separate them 3 years ago for about 4 months when they had outgrown their cage). Merlin is a very laid back 4 year old LTC. After keeping her in her own cage in view of the others for about 4 months, she integrated seamlessly with the other two.

how big a space do you give them to roam together?

They are in an "L" shaped freerange that takes up 15 feet of wall. In these pictures they are sitting in the corner of the "L".
Here is a picture of the whole thing:
_DSC6311.jpg

- Suzanne

Wow!

That is a very nice free range you have there! I guess it is a spare bedroom?Very gorgeous - looks like they are in the wild. Must be some very happy chams :D Looks very peaceful.

Suzanne, how do you protect your walls from water damage? I would like to do something similar some day.

Back
Top Bottom