Drax is lethargic

Hey guys,

Drax is my 16mo old female veiled. Until last month she was fine - eating, always moving around, usually hanging out high in her enclosure at night. Lately, she's been lethargic, slow to wake in the mornings, and often sleeping during the day. I first noticed something was off when I saw her hanging upside down from the top of her enclosure, which was odd, and now she just sort of hangs out around the middle of her pathos plant, pictured. She doesn't appear to be impacted though I haven't found any poop since I cleaned out her enclosure last week.

She loves in a reptibreeze XL, gets misted every day and has been given calcium with her crickets every now and then. Her UVB 5.0 bulb was the original one we got when we brought her home, which I just replaced with a UVB10 hood last week. She has a Big Dripper but she doesn't seem interested in eating or drinking very much, though I did see her eat the other day. I haven't fed her anything other than crickets since we got her. When handled, her grip doesn't feel weak, and she has no problem showing her colors when aggravated (see pics). She just seems...tired all the time. When she sleeps, I'll come down in the morning and she's more or less in the same spot she was the night before, just...sagging.

I'm sure I've caused this, since she is my first cham. How can I help her feel more normal and avoid this in the future? I've called around to the various vets but the only exotic vet that will even see her or take new clients is over an hour and a half away in another state :(

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20201231_081039.jpg
    20201231_081039.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 139
  • 20201231_082017.jpg
    20201231_082017.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 130
What kind of bulb was the 5.0 you previously had? Was it a coil bulb or a long tube bulb? What kind is the 10 you have now?

What kind of calcium are you supplementing with, and how often?

In the first photo she looks like she might have mbd. When was the last time she laid a clutch?

What kind of bulb was the 5.0 you previously had? Was it a coil bulb or a long tube bulb? What kind is the 10 you have now?

What kind of calcium are you supplementing with, and how often?

In the first photo she looks like she might have mbd. When was the last time she laid a clutch?

Both are long Reptisun bulbs. The calcium is Fluker's, and I usually dust her crickets once a month, and right after she lays (the most recent was a couple of months ago).

Both are long Reptisun bulbs. The calcium is Fluker's, and I usually dust her crickets once a month, and right after she lays (the most recent was a couple of months ago).
In order to have strong bones she needs a phosphorus free calcium with no D3 at EVERY feeding. Then you will alternate each week, one feeding, between a calcium with d3 and a multivitamin like reptivite.
I would suggest you take her to an experienced chameleon vet. They may want to check her blood and do an xray to see her bones.

Does she have a lay bin? You said she laid a few months ago...they lay roughly every 120 days.
I'm just worried that if she has mbd she wont be able to lay eggs, or that it will strain her and she will hurt herself.

As @AmandaS said she needs calcium at every feeding dusted little on the insects for strong bones. She also needs the calcium for egglaying (muscles) and other things in her system. She also needs proper UVB and proper temperatures.

When a chameleon has MBD they usually need extra calcium in liquid form to bring the calcium back in line.

Female veileds usually lay eggs every 120 days or so.
How many eggs has she laid in any previous clutches?
Has she laid them in a hole and filled the hole in each time?
How many insects do you feed her each week?
What's the basking temperature?

I'm in Allentown, PA, but all the vets I've called haven't been taking new clients. I'd love a recommendation for a vet so I can get her taken care of, then make sure to follow everyone's great advice better.

After her exam, Drax is not at risk of any major issues. Based on the age of my original UVB bulb and the lack of calcium/multivitamins over the last year, the doc suspects that with some time, liquid calcium supplements for a while and more consistent dusting at feeding, she should be right as rain. Thanks for the advice and criticism of my husbandry!!

After her exam, Drax is not at risk of any major issues. Based on the age of my original UVB bulb and the lack of calcium/multivitamins over the last year, the doc suspects that with some time, liquid calcium supplements for a while and more consistent dusting at feeding, she should be right as rain. Thanks for the advice and criticism of my husbandry!!
It sounds like the vet is optimistic, glad you were able to get her seen so quickly! :)

Drax has yet to improve. One week after her initial visit and after a week's worth of liquid calcium, no improvement was obvious, so the vet put her on a broad spectrum antibiotic. Tomorrow will be her second dose. She continues to "slack" from wherever she is perched - after a dose of calcium I'll put her in a spot higher in the enclosure, and she sort of slowly slumps and all but falls downwards. I have yet to see her feed since a few days before her last visit and I haven't seen her drink since then, either. Attached is an example, taken just a few moments ago.

Attachments

• 20210114_191054.jpg
    20210114_191054.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 96
We've been giving her calcium supplements and broad-spectrum antibiotics for a week and a half...and this morning she popped.

She obviously had to lay but wasn't happy with her lay bin (she's always preferred just digging into the pothos) or was too weak to dig as she has in the past, and laid a clutch of eggs in the pot overnight.

What is the proper immediate aftercare for the time being?

Attachments

• 20210122_074852.jpg
    20210122_074852.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 96
Back
Top Bottom