Dose this chameleon cage look fine

I just want to know y’all’s opinions on my cage he is 4 months old and I got him yesterday

Attachments

• IMG_1918.jpeg
    IMG_1918.jpeg
    200.7 KB · Views: 9
Looking at the size of your chameleon, I’d add a few thinner branches as well.

Also worried that it can get under the basking light and maybe burn itself. Have you tested the warmth at the closest spot that it can get to the light by placing your own hand as close to the light as you can under the screen, palm down and seeing if you want to move your hand away?

I just want to know y’all’s opinions on my cage he is 4 months old and I got him yesterday
Looks like you're off to a good start!

I would add a large plant in the very center. Provide him a little more coverage and kind of fill out that space some more. I would add more sticks in general. And since you've already built a stick frame... I would actually add more sticks within that frame to kind of cover the outside screen on the sides. Just to promote climbing those sticks instead of the screen.

It is perfectly normal for them to climb the screen. But it's certainly better for them to climb branches instead if they're available! You could just space branches out a few inches or so and make ladders.

Looking at the size of your chameleon, I’d add a few thinner branches as well.

Also worried that it can get under the basking light and maybe burn itself. Have you tested the warmth at the closest spot that it can get to the light by placing your own hand as close to the light as you can under the screen, palm down and seeing if you want to move your hand away?
Can’t right now he is sitting on the basking branch and I don’t want to scare him

Which UVB type and strength are you using. What is the distance you have it raised and what is the distance from the screen to the branch below it?
The branch directly under the uvb light is 17 in under and the uvb bulb sits 1 1/2 inches above the enclosure

Attachments

• IMG_1917.jpeg
    IMG_1917.jpeg
    320.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Can’t right now he is sitting on the basking branch and I don’t want to scare him

This may or may not work for you, but what I do is, I wait until Spike is "done for the day", meaning he goes to his resting spot where he will eventually sleep once lights are off. Once he's there, I add new branches (or remove branches I don't want in there anymore). It's a slight disturbance, but as long as you aren't really working too too close to him it should be fine during this time period.

Spike kinda just looks curious more than anything when I do this :LOL:

The branch directly under the uvb light is 17 in under and the uvb bulb sits 1 1/2 inches above the enclosure
So this is way too far away. With a T5HO fixture and a 5.0 bulb your looking for a total distance of 8-9 inches. If baby is screen climbing the top you have to lift the fixture 4 inches off the top and then add in a branch 5 inches below the screen. This puts total distance to the branch at 9 inches for a 3 UVI and then at the screen they are in the max UVI level of roughly a 6UVI.

At the current distance of 17 the baby would get no UVB at the branch and if on screen would be blasted by extremely high UVI levels which are far higher than they would ever see in their natural environment. So baby would develop MBD if they are not getting UVB and start declining. Or have risks of over exposure levels being so close.

So this is way too far away. With a T5HO fixture and a 5.0 bulb your looking for a total distance of 8-9 inches. If baby is screen climbing the top you have to lift the fixture 4 inches off the top and then add in a branch 5 inches below the screen. This puts total distance to the branch at 9 inches for a 3 UVI and then at the screen they are in the max UVI level of roughly a 6UVI.

At the current distance of 17 the baby would get no UVB at the branch and if on screen would be blasted by extremely high UVI levels which are far higher than they would ever see in their natural environment. So baby would develop MBD if they are not getting UVB and start declining. Or have risks of over exposure levels being so close.
Tysm

Back
Top Bottom