Dormant oil?

JuniorC

Avid Member
Is it safe to use branches that have been sprayed with dormant oil? Or will a good rinse with soap and water be ok?

Aren't dormant oils a sort of pesticide? I would hazard on the side of caution not being sure of active ingredients i know neem oil is not good though

Aren't dormant oils a sort of pesticide? I would hazard on the side of caution not being sure of active ingredients i know neem oil is not good though
Yeah just figured I'd ask maybe some people will know if a good rinse will do the job

some dormant oil is mineral oil , some have other ingrediets wash leaves with a drop of soap and rinse tilted (outside cage) some oil may be in soil should be safe to add plant after a month

I would get some branches not sprayed with pesticides just to be safe. It seems dormant oil can be toxic towards your plants and insects that aren't pests or disease causing, as neem oil seems to kill insects at various stages after being applied to plants and surfaces. This is only what I've been able to find on this.

However, we do use the method of washing plants and other vines just in case they've been exposed to pesticides with a warm soap and water mix with thorough rinses. My only concern is how deep might the oil have already saturated the branches you have even though its dry, and if higher temps might force some of the oil to the surface of the branches where your chameleon might have a chance to ingest some of it (drinking water off them).

I would get some branches not sprayed with pesticides just to be safe. It seems dormant oil can be toxic towards your plants and insects that aren't pests or disease causing, as neem oil seems to kill insects at various stages after being applied to plants and surfaces. This is only what I've been able to find on this.

However, we do use the method of washing plants and other vines just in case they've been exposed to pesticides with a warm soap and water mix with thorough rinses. My only concern is how deep might the oil have already saturated the branches you have even though its dry, and if higher temps might force some of the oil to the surface of the branches where your chameleon might have a chance to ingest some of it (drinking water off them).
Great point. Thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom