Dont Know What To Do

Metal725

I bought 2 panther eggs from a breeder in my area. I have been closet incubating and they are between 5 and 6 mo ths old. I noticed a couple days ago it shrank and dimpled and let out a clear, sticky liquid. Its been 3 days now and I can see the tip of what im assuming is the face. Its hasnt changed at all since it shrank so my question is, should I cut it open or help it out a bit? Did it burst and isnt ready yet? Im completely new to this so I dont want to do anything drastic or nothing at all and possibly lose the little one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_61907558969505.jpg
    IMG_61907558969505.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 111
If its been 3 days I would open it. Be careful to not remove any yolk sac just incase the baby is still alive. Once you open it keep it in a moist area. I used to use a ringed out paper towel and a Tupperware container with a lid.

Carl

So I couldnt wait anymore and I cut the baby out of the egg. It was fully formed, moving and lifting its head, and has sone really nice patterns. After about 30 minutes, he stopped moving but I can still see his little heart beating in his chest. I put it in a seperate container from the other egg with a moist paper towel. Hoping everything goes ok but not holding my breath.

I hope he makes it! How is the other egg doing?

Carl, Mike, Sandra how do these little ones survive in the wild? I see a lot that have issues just hatching but in the wild don't they have to dig themselves out of the 12" ish deep hole they are laid in after they hatch?

Carl, Mike, Sandra how do these little ones survive in the wild? I see a lot that have issues just hatching but in the wild don't they have to dig themselves out of the 12" ish deep hole they are laid in after they hatch?

This is why they have so many a clutch! Some don't make it out of the soil/egg, some get eaten and some make it into adult-hood (usually the strongest of the bunch) spreading good genetics.

Good luck with the baby!

Mother Nature can be cruel. Conditions need to just right in nature not so in captivity.
Just imagine how easy it is for species that have small clutches to be wiped out. Caluma gallus and caluma furcifer only have 4-8 to a clutch.

Carl

I forgot to mention but another reason we cut it out was because we noticed a couple small white worms around the opening of the egg. I checked on the little one this morning and he is still in the same position as last night. I dont think it made it...

The worms are bad, your getting fly larva in there.

As for the baby, he could have died, or hes taking his time.

Ive had babies come out of the egg, and take over 24 hours to get up and moving.

I contacted the breeder i got the eggs from and he said he has also had problems with the same clutch. I have it quarantined from the other eggs so ill give it a day or 2 to see what happens. As for the worms, should i move the other eggs? Not sure how they got in there. We dont have flies or anything in our house and its in an airtight container.

That's my reasoning to not helping them. If they can't even get out of the shell, they would have never made it in the wild, because they still would have had to tunnel out of a firmly packed hole up to a foot deep.

By helping them, you are only compounding problems, because even if they do survive you'll have to give them special treatment because they be weak runts. I know I would not want them in my breeding program, and customers would not appreciate you sending them out as pets either.

It is a losing situation that I don't put myself in.

Back
Top Bottom