Dont have the coin to spend on a chrome rack? Build a wooden/wire one!

Nicodemayo

Avid Member
Right now i am using 3 chrome 4ft wide shelves to house 18 (6 per shelf) 15x16x20" cubes but i own 24 total and i need the remaining 6 setup because the headcount is becoming quite high:eek:. Sooo instead of dropping $100+ bucks on a forth one i decided to try building something just as good....just not chrome (maybe i can get some chrome spray paint haha jk). Worst part about the chrome shelves is that i cant open the bottom hatch for easy cleaning and the far right cage can only open halfway. So for $51 and some change i built this sucker, complete with wheels and everything. The bottom hatches open and i can open all the doors all the way. I still have to mount all the wiring and the lights (which i do very carefully and neatly othewise i would have burned my house down ages ago) but to be honest im pretty darn proud of this and i figured i would show it off, i couldn't wait. The wood isn't anything beautiful but 2.23cent 2x4's can only look so good. If anyone has any questions i would live to answer them! Having organized cages and shelving is a must have to me, and anyone who has quite i few of these creatures we all love so much!

Nic

Awesome Nic!

I am designing alum drain pans for my wire Rack... and I like this so much... I may put those on hold... and just do a rack like yours... with built in drainage should be easy. Nice Work Man!

EDIT: I haven't seen a Dot Matrix Printer like that in YEARS! lol

EDIT#2: Where did you get the wire shelves and what did they run?

What the heck is a Dot Matrix Printer haha!? Those wire shelves are avaliable at home depot for like $7.25 a piece and measure 4ftx16". They're made to mount to walls for closet storage. I thought they were a much cleaner alternative to flat plywood and the lights and wires are easily zip tied to them.

Joe haha i think its the convection heater your looking at. That thing is from the stone ages too so your not completely off ;). Thanks chad!

Haha... I am looking at the thing in the first pic on the floor to the right of the the rack. It looks like one of the old school printers that feed the paper reem through via the holes on perferated edges of the paper. Looks like one of those unplugged and propped up against the wall. Thats funny... guess a heater is a lot more functional! Those printers were horrible!

DIY Rack

Very nice job-quite creative to use the white closet shelves. What did you save verses buying a chrome rack? What was your plan for H2O collection? More pics as you continue!

CHEERS!!!

Nico,

Great job and excellent idea, thanks. How tall is the rack? whats the space between shelves? What are you keeping on the 15x16x20" cubes? thank you.

Nick Barta- I saved about $60 per shelf AND i am able to open the doors completely and open the easy cleaning hatch. I did not design this to have drainage becuase in these cages the misters come on 4 times a day for 10 seconds and they completely dry in between sessions.

chameleoholic-There is about 30" between shelves. It is 6ft tall. I added the 3rd shelf on the top so i can store some of my feeder bins up on it. Also the lights are easily mounted under this wire shelving. I put chams from out of the egg until they're 4 months old in these cage and as they get older i thin them out into more cages according to sex and size.

-Nic

Back
Top Bottom