Doing ok?

Kath44

Isn't being a new Cham owner worrying, fascinating, amazing? :eek:
George came home Thursday, so far I think we are doing ok.
Friday he ate and drank really well, let me handle him. The weekend, he's eaten,drank but wasn't too keen on me handling him,or even my hand near him.
Trying not to take it personally,lol.
Today he willingly walked onto my hand :D I keep this to brief moments so far, today I didn't even take him out of enclosure. He just sat on my hand while in his home. Stepping off when he wished.
I've managed to catch the few locust loose in his enclosure before he went to sleep. Creepy things :eek:
Anyway, hope we're doing ok so far?
Kath.

Sounds like the right amount of attention and care and the right attitude. Keep it up, it can be forwarding.

We usually recommend to leave chameleons alone a few days to settle in first but yes, it sounds like everything is good. If he's willing to come out already, awesome.

Like Olimpia said, a change of environment is stressful for chams.
They may not always show it, but they need time to get used to their new home, and that this giant walking around (that would be you!), is not going to harm them.
You need to earn their trust.

It depends on weather or not they are already used to having human contact, and that is why I like to buy from a small, non commercial, breeder, like the folks here on the forum.
They tend to give their baby chams more attention then comercial breeders.

They love their chams, take pictures of the babies, post them, spoil them as soon as they hatch!!

Large scale breeders do not have the time, or inclination, to interact with them because they have so many. They likely only handle them when it's time to ship them out.

Last cham I got was from Komeleons. The little guy climed up my arm and stayed on my shoulder as soon as I opened the deli container he was shipped in.
He was eating out of my hand the same day, and never tried to hide behind
the leaves in his cage.

Chams I got from FL Chams, total opposit! took them weeks to come out of hidding!!

I would rather buy a baby I know has been handled and pampered, then any
fancy pedigree from a impersonal commercial breeder :)

I agree with you. I didn't force the issue when he wasn't keen over the weekend and left him alone.
He has been handled while a baby and is friendly but I don't want to scare or stress him so haven't been pushy.
I've plenty of time and patience to spare.
Kath.

Back
Top Bottom