doing better maybe?

kim01

ok i posted yesterday about how my chams poo had a dot of blood in it at the end of it.
today he seems to actually be somewhat better i think? aside from the blood of course. he didn't go again today,so not sure about if there is more blood or not. he did however eat more crickets today than he has since i have had him. he ate at least 8 small and 1 large. he may have eaten a couple more than that as they slipped out of the tweezers. they were up by him so he may have got up to 10 small and the large.
he did stay under the basking light pretty much all day. he was laying at a weird angle(one i haven't seen thus far). he was on his side but was using his legs to stay in this position. i couldn't tell if he was sleeping or not. he did stay black most of the day as well. however when he was eating he did get some bright green on him. when he was hanging/laying on his side. i decided to spray him to make sure he could drink if he wanted to. so i sprayed him and he did "perk" up. he got up on all 4's and moved over to some other leaves and began drinking. he seemed to really like being misted. he also got some green in him then as well. i stayed to see if he did acutally drink and he did just that. after drinking some he did go down to where he sleeps and did his usually nightly behavior. i should also mention that this week starting on tuesday he was going to bed(not sleeping but going down to where he sleeps) at 3 ish. at first i was alarmed however i found out that he was waking up(not getting up,but keeping his eyes open) when my husband was getting up for work at 4:30. so in reality he was awake for 12 hours aday.
but today he didnt go down to go to bed until 6 o'clock. thats much later than he had been these last few days.
we didn't get outside like i had wanted to today.but plan on doing it tomorrow. i plan to take him outside and let him sun bath if he wants.
after getting this info do you guys think he is doing better (in some ways? eating more staying up later? obviously i will still get him into the vet about the blood in his stool.
just wanted to see what others were thinking.
tia

Its good to hear your cham is doing better. I myself am struggling and it is encouraging when others pets "recovers" hope the vet visit goes well

Tia, when he was on his side, was he parrallel to the light source? If so, he was just in this position to get as much heat as possible. This would also explain his dark color. If this is the case, just look at the opposite side of him tomorrow. If the side toward the light is dark and the other side is green then that will confirm it. Dark absorbs more heat than lighter colors. This is quite normal behavoir. Be sure his room is pitch black at night. This should get his sleeping corrected. Good luck and keep us posted. David

he does sound a bit better.
but, keep alert.
and get the fecal sample if he poo.
remember to mention the possibility of coccidia to the vet.

Yes, get a fecal done if you can. We "rescued" a panther cham. He bled the first time he pooped at our place. Not just a little bit, either. There was a big streak of blood on his perch. It terrified me. He also had a burn on his side, very odd coloration to his skin, was dehydrated, and had a low appetite. In fact his coloration was so poor although we thought he was a Samabava, we wondered if he was a morph cross. And, I just remembered, he prolapsed, too. These were all traditional symptoms of a high coccidia infestation. And, indeed, his fecal revealed coccidia.

We treated him for coccidia and he now has a very healthy appetite, great coloration, no bleeding, is robust and very active. His fresh healthy coloration has revealed that he is a beautiful Sambava.

I will warn you that with the traditional coccidia treatments there can be a complete loss of appetite, with force feeding a necessity. A large part of recovering from coccidia depends on the immune system of the chameleon. If they are not eating, they will not have a strong enough immune system. I am not saying to force feed him now. That is only done when absolutely necessary. (The reason is that in all things with chameleons you have to balance the negative effects of stress against the positive effects of the treatment. Sometimes the stress can outweigh the treatment and cause a cham to go downhill.)

I'm not trying to scare you, but really trying to encourage you. Getting proper treatment is really worth it. We ended up with a beautiful and robust animal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom