Dog walking

AmandaS

Retired Moderator
Hayley (my daughter) and I just went on a walk with our dogs and Sandy (our rotweiller/German shepherd mix) saw a woman and her dog, so she started pulling hard, and her leash snapped!!! She ran after the lady who was TERRIFIED and screamed super loud. When I called Sandy, she came RIGHT back, no problem at all. But I felt so guilty. And I am so thankful that she didn't bite that dog or lady...not that I thought she would but who knows what Sandy is thinking when she pulls the leash like that!
It was very embarrassing, and I apologized a lot of times. The lady said "oh its okay" but I could tell she was visably shaken up. ?
I definitely learned my lesson about those extendable leashes...and I will only use the good old fashioned type from now on.

Glad nothing bad happened other than a good scare!

When I was a teenager a lady let her dog off its leash on a path along the side of a road. My friend and I were walking along the path and the dog came straight for both of us and bit us both on the arms. Luckily we were wearing jackets of a shiny slippery material and all we got were bruises...no cut skin. We yelled at the lady to get her dog leashed and she just laughed and left. We ran to the nearest house which luckily was only a few feet away and the owner saw everything that was happening and let us in. The police were called and by then the dog and lady were gone. They searched the neighbourhood with us in their car but we couldn't find them.

Glad nothing bad happened other than a good scare!

When I was a teenager a lady let her dog off its leash on a path along the side of a road. My friend and I were walking along the path and the dog came straight for both of us and bit us both on the arms. Luckily we were wearing jackets of a shiny slippery material and all we got were bruises...no cut skin. We yelled at the lady to get her dog leashed and she just laughed and left. We ran to the nearest house which luckily was only a few feet away and the owner saw everything that was happening and let us in. The police were called and by then the dog and lady were gone. They searched the neighbourhood with us in their car but we couldn't find them.
That is terrifying!! Im glad it wasnt more serious for you both!! I cannot stand people who treat their animals like weapons or raise them/allow them to be mean.

I praised Sandy when she came right back. All she did was lick the nose of that ladies husky. Im just glad nothing happened. I know Sandy is a teddy bear....but shes still an animal. And who knows what would have happened if she felt the need to protect us.

It took me a lot of years after that to not be worried about off leash dogs that were bigger than chihuahuas.

Most dogs are like your Sandy thank goodness!

We can so easily do something that triggers an animal. I think that day, my friends coat blowing in the wind was what set that dog off.

It took me a lot of years after that to not be worried about off leash dogs that were bigger than chihuahuas.
I bet! It would have emotionally scarred me! My sister got bit in the face by our neighbors german shephard when we were little kids...she was like 8. Her friend took her to their backyard to play, and I guess their dog didnt like that idea. She is still scared of dogs and doesnt even like to be around my dogs. I don blame her for it!! I probably would be too.

Last edited:

Most dogs are like your Sandy thank goodness!

We can so easily do something that triggers an animal. I think that day, my friends coat blowing in the wind was what set that dog off.
I was so proud of her for coming right back!!
I just keep thinking of the way that woman screamed. It was full-on terror.

I have an industrial strength harness and chain leash for my Beastie. He learned very quickly how to get out of his collar and even a standard harness. He’s as sweet as can be and loves people, but people get scared to see a massive pit mix barreling down on them. Plus, he doesn’t care for other dogs and has terrified me on too many occasions when he’s escaped and people are walking their tiny foo foo dogs. B78BA919-8407-40BD-94F6-1B45319941C1.jpeg

I have an industrial strength harness and chain leash for my Beastie. He learned very quickly how to get out of his collar and even a standard harness. He’s as sweet as can be and loves people, but people get scared to see a massive pit mix barreling down on them. Plus, he doesn’t care for other dogs and has terrified me on too many occasions when he’s escaped and people are walking their tiny foo foo dogs. View attachment 272081
Sandy has a very strong harness because she is a puller. My mom just gifted these leashes to me that extend super far, and Sandy was really loving it. We have used them a few times and it seemed great, so I trusted the leash....MY BAD! lol. I have better ones that even have squishy grips for my hand. Hahaha. Those are the ones Im going back to. ?

I have an industrial strength harness and chain leash for my Beastie. He learned very quickly how to get out of his collar and even a standard harness. He’s as sweet as can be and loves people, but people get scared to see a massive pit mix barreling down on them. Plus, he doesn’t care for other dogs and has terrified me on too many occasions when he’s escaped and people are walking their tiny foo foo dogs. View attachment 272081
I might be a little worried about your dog too sadly....just because of my experience.

So my younger sister (24) has the mother rotweiller to my Sandy. And Sandys sister who looks very much full rot...she lets her dogs go out front and roam her street, and lets them off the leash when walking...
They are trained well, but that doesn't mean OTHER people know that! I am always telling her that she cannot do that because someone will get scared and may hurt them. She refuses to listen because SHE knows theyre good dogs....but it really gets under my skin.

Back
Top Bottom