does your cham appreciate being sprayed?

adam1v

I was wondering how other peoples chameleons take to being sprayed?
Until my mister arrives, im spraying once in the morning and once in the evening (im in the UK so its not as hot mind), but the chams don’t seem to appreciate being sprayed.

I was just wondering how other people get on?

Both of my guys are closet drinkers. No matter how warm the water is they don't seem to like it. Every once in a while my Ambilobe will open his mouth a little.

Last edited:
My guy loves it. I have to use hot water, but he goes about drinking right off the bat. Definitely hot or warm water makes a difference. Also, I do not spray him directly, unless he is showing that it isn't bothering him at the time. Spraying the surrounding leaves seems the best course of action.

My 2 veileds don't mind getting misted they will walk around and cover themselves to the point that they get as much water on them as they want, My female panther cant stand it she will run away and tehn lick the leaves and stuff once I'm done,I now have 2 male Jacksons as well thanks to Sharkey! and they love to be misted they just sit there and take it all in, they will drink and drink and drink....I also use hot water in the sprayer so that is is warm once it comes into the mist..

some mixed opinions there.
I've seen both mine drink from the surrounding leaves so im content that they're drinking.

a number of people have recommended spraying them directly because its good for cleaning around their eyes etc and prevents infections/disease (seems logical).

Ive not tried warm water (people have said 'hot'?!), but obviously when my mister arrives that wont be warm water :(

I mist with warm/hot water.

My cham will hiss when I spray him, and he''ll just puff up when I start spraying the leaves around him. He hisses once or twice and comes to accept that he's being sprayed...the other day he did the cutest thing, I wa smisting and he was hissing, but after he hissed he kept his mouth open for a few seconds, as if he wanted the water but didn't want me to know. So cute!

If you just fill it up with hot, it will come out warm when sprayed if you use a wide spread mist.

Hot water out of the tap isn't hot enough for my veiled. I have to microwave it for a minute or so first, depending on how much water is in the container. The mist should feel warm 1-2 feet out from the sprayer.

I have found that the best course of action is to spray spots they aren't climbing in. If they want to be dripped on, they will walk into it.

Mine has only ever came up to me once
sometimes he stays there and opens his mouth now and then and other times he does nothing...sometimes he takes to the dripper sometimes he doesnt lol they can be real fussy

My female veiled hates it. I still hand-mist, and she glares at me and runs for cover no matter what temp the water, then only drinks when she thinks I'm not looking. She WILL run straight past me and through the mist to get to anything moving in her food cup however! Outta the way, hungry chameleon!:D

I tried the hot water this morning and it made a huge difference! they tried to run away for a second, before they're realised it was warm and then just sat there and lapped it up.

I could do with finding a way to heat my water up for the mister now... hmmmm :)

spurs ftw tryme ;)

Back
Top Bottom