Does Pete look healthy?

Coop

Avid Member
Before we get his new cage (I’m getting the large atrium from dragon strand once they are available), I just want to make sure he is a healthy weight and that I have his care completely correct.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male panther chameleon, nearly a year old, has been in my care since February
  • Handling - Not often, lately I have been letting him come out on his own (I make sure there is nothing in the room except me and him, I open his cage and put his free range tree so he crawls onto it.)
  • Feeding - crickets, 9-10 a day, gutloading with carrots
  • Supplements - Repashy calcium plus lod daily
  • Watering - A long mist in the morning and before bed, and sometimes a little bit of water after he eats
  • Fecal Description - Soft, but still holds it shape, white urate
  • History - He was bitten by his hatch mate while only a few days old, appears to be missing a bit of his vertebrae

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen 16x16x30, waiting for the large atrium to come back in stock
  • Lighting - t5ho reprising and 50w basking, 7:30 to 7:30 or 12 hours
  • Temperature - 84 to 70
  • Humidity - 60-80%
  • Plants - Pothos plant
  • Placement - located in my room, about 3 feet off the floor
  • Location - Petaluma California

Current Problem - Pete is only eating 7-8 of his crickets per day. Is he bored? I’m also worried about his back and his weight

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 176
My veiled has spoiled me with very indiscriminate feeding. Naturally with maturity they start eating less. I don’t know about boredom but I would definitely work a little variety into the gutload beyond carrots. They are great for eye health but I would also recommend some leafy greens, green bell peppers pack in vitamins too.

I’m worried about his back because of this

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 125
The back issue, if he's always had it and been healthy in your care I wouldn't worry about it too much. However if it's a new development I would be concerned.

My parents won’t allow any of those three. I already am barely able to have super worms.

Black soldier fly larvae and flies are super easy to contain (in a little condiment sized cup) and pose no infestation risk. In case you're able to talk to your mom openly about expanding food options for the sake of Pete's health, I do think that's a good one! Silkies are better if she's open to those. And if you are dedicated and do some research you could even breed and raise silkworms yourself. It'd save money in the long run, especially if you have a mulberry tree somewhere nearby to snag leaves off of. :)

Back
Top Bottom