Does my chameleon look healthy?

pascal1415

Pascal is about a year old and I just want to make sure he looks healthy. I am attaching a picture of him, can anyone tell me if he looks like a healthy year old chameleon?

Attachments

• 426C6143-0E6F-4838-9D0D-225062EAC271.jpeg
    426C6143-0E6F-4838-9D0D-225062EAC271.jpeg
    181.7 KB · Views: 89
I am new and am trying to figure this all out lol. Where is that form at?
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
Thank you! And he is a little over a year, I don’t handle him as much anymore because I don’t want to stress him out, and feeding lately has been a struggle because he doesn’t seem to like crickets right now. When he was a baby he used to eat about 20 a day and now he barely eats 5 a day which concerns me because I see a bunch of other people post on how they’re chameleons eat a ton of crickets. However whenever I offer super worms or wax worms he goes crazy. So I know he’s just being picky. I give him calcium and multivitamins on a schedule and he has a dripper for water.
I guess I’m just wanting to know if he looks healthy because he doesn’t eat as much as I see other people say their adult chameleons eat daily.

He looks healthy but you can’t know for sure just looking at him. Older chameleon eats less. don’t give him superworms too often because he will get addicted to them and he will not eat anything else.

Adult male chameleons should eat about 5 feeders every other day, or even just 3 times a week. They will slow down on feeding as they get older. Babies and Juveniles are the ones that eat a lot.

Make sure you aren't feeding too many superworms or waxworms, we don't want a chunky chameleon.

He does look healthy. His blues are very pretty. Where did you get him?

Also, it wouldnt hurt to check your husbandry. I see you have answered a few questions. It is more helpful if you copy and paste the form into the message box, and then fill out each answer under the question.

Adult male chameleons should eat about 5 feeders every other day, or even just 3 times a wek. They will slow down on feeding as they get older. Babies and Juveniles are the ones that eat alot.

Make sure you aren't feeding too many superworms or waxworms, we don't want a chunky chameleon.

He does look healthy. His blues are very pretty. Where did you get him?
Oh that makes me feel so much better! And thank you! I actually got him at petco when he was just a baby:)

Petco isnt the best place to get a chameleon but it looks like it worked out okay. Have you ever gotten him tested for parasites?

Also, I edited my post.

Petco isnt the best place to get a chameleon but it looks like it worked out okay. Have you ever gotten him tested for parasites?

Also, I edited my post.
Gotcha, I just saw it. I will fill it out right now. And I have heard really bad things about buying them from petco but as soon as I saw this little guy I fell in love with him. He was so just so cute!

Attachments

• 3464515D-7C53-4060-8881-38450723BADF.jpeg
    3464515D-7C53-4060-8881-38450723BADF.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 104
Baby chameleons are so cute, I agree! Its pretty much a law around here to post lots of baby pics whenever possible, whether you get a new chameleon, hatch a clutch of them, anything. Lol everyone loves baby chameleon pictures

Once you fill it out I will correct anything that needs correcting.

Pascal info:
  • He is a male veiled chameleon and has been in my care for a little over a year.
  • In the beginning he was handled a lot, he used to LOVE getting out of the cage or just chilling on my shoulder and then as he got older he just decided he didn’t want to be handled as often. Now I rarely handle him.
  • I feed him crickets as a feeder and I gutload them with food from josh’s frogs. Now a days he only eats about 5-8 every 3-4 days.
  • I dust crickets with calcium 3 times a week, then calcium with d3 once a week, and his multivitamin once every other week.
  • For water he has a dripper that goes off regularly throughout the day and I mist two to three times a day.
  • His poop has always looked the same but his pee lately has been a little yellowish.
  • I have the repti breeze chameleon kit, screen
  • For lighting I use a 60 watt blue bulb and a 5 uvb light 13 watt. I use the light kit from the repti breeze. His lights are on from 8am-8pm.
  • The temperature in there is usually around 80, the lowest it will get is about 72 degrees.
  • His humidity is around 70 to 80 usually, I measure this with a humidity gauge. I try and maintaining this by spraying his cage often.
  • I have one love plant in there to catch the water from the dripper, it’s some sort of pothos plant.
  • My cage is located near a window and is about 3 feet off the ground.
  • I am located in east Texas right now.

Baby chameleons are so cute, I agree! Its pretty much a law around here to post lots of baby pics whenever possible, whether you get a new chameleon, hatch a clutch of them, anything. Lol everyone loves baby chameleon pictures

Once you fill it out I will correct anything that needs correcting.
I filled it out!

Can you post more pictures of him while @Ares05 works on your help form feedback?

While he looks good. He also looks overweight. You can see bulging on the back of the casque which means he is storing excess fat.

Can you post more pictures of him while @Ares05 works on your help form feedback?

While he looks good. He also looks overweight. You can see bulging on the back of the casque which means he is storing excess fat.
Yes! Here is two pictures of him from right now. He’s puffing up because I opened up his cage to take these pictures lol.

Attachments

• 49B3991D-8DB4-4602-9FBD-94C463AC7CC8.jpeg
    49B3991D-8DB4-4602-9FBD-94C463AC7CC8.jpeg
    307.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 50A4AABA-7408-4A47-9349-F41E550D98D1.jpeg
    50A4AABA-7408-4A47-9349-F41E550D98D1.jpeg
    319.5 KB · Views: 76
Yes! Here is two pictures of him from right now. He’s puffing up because I opened up his cage to take these pictures lol.
Yeah so he is a bit chunky... You can see it in the casque and cheeks. Problem with them holding weight like this is these areas are the last to hold fat which means he has a fat layer around his internal organs. It is not healthy for them to have.

Can you post a picture of your entire cage including the lights on top please?

So does that mean no more treats for him for a while? And this is a picture of his entire setup. I’m still trying to look for more greenery for the top of his cage. If you have any cheap suggestions please let me know!

Attachments

• 400F39B5-F735-45F1-A9F4-9E65029D9CD8.jpeg
    400F39B5-F735-45F1-A9F4-9E65029D9CD8.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 84
Yeah so he is a bit chunky... You can see it in the casque and cheeks. Problem with them holding weight like this is these areas are the last to hold fat which means he has a fat layer around his internal organs. It is not healthy for them to have.

Can you post a picture of your entire cage including the lights on top please?
So does that mean no more treats for him for a while? And this is a picture of his entire setup. I’m still trying to look for more greenery for the top of his cage. If you have any cheap suggestions please let me know!

Attachments

• 52B4B395-1C57-4399-ACBA-F0966E0E4AAD.jpeg
    52B4B395-1C57-4399-ACBA-F0966E0E4AAD.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 70
Back
Top Bottom