Does he have enough UV?

Josereg

So, I was handling my chameleon outside today to give him some natural sunlight, and he gets a totally new range of beautiful colors. I only see these colors two times, when he goes outside and during feeding. So, I was wondering if this is because my uv levels are too low, which causes him to get greater colors when outside. Or if there is another reason for this. I do know that they get darker when basking.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Extra Large Repti Breeze
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? T5HO light fixture 24”. Along with 80 W basking bulb. 12 hours on, 12 hours off.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? My basking temp is 85-88 degrees.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I use the dual thermometer and hygrometer, my hunidity is around 50-60 and raises with misting and with humidifier on. I also lined the back of the cage with clear wrapping paper to keep in moisture.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes. I have a umbrella plant and spider plant.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?My cage is in the corner of my room, there is a fan in the room. Along with AC.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Sacramento
I attached an image with him after only a few minutes of sun, I attached the image mainly to see if the uvb should be closer. (I don’t have anything to read uvb)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 96
I think the color difference was likely just his being fired up (excited) by either getting food or being outside (and all that encompasses). ;)?

Your UVB levels are fine... I have noticed that the sun just does more for them. Not sure what but my boy displays the most beautiful yellows when he is basking in his outside enclosure. Nothing I have ever seen inside when basking.

@Beman Thank you, I just wanted to make sure that it won’t be a problem in the long run with UVB. I completely agree the colors are unmatched when outside.

Back
Top Bottom