Does Camilo look heathy?

lizcrespo93

I got Camilo over a month ago and his previous owner had him only on crickets, no gutloading aside from Fluker's orange cubes, and the compact uvb bulb. I am feeding gutloaded crickets and superworms with leafy greens, sweet potato and butternut squash. I'll be changing this up when my gutload runs out and will be adding some fruit in the mean time. I got a linear 5.0 t5ho bulb and am supplementing with calcium no D3 six days a week and on the 7th day rotating between a multi and calcium with D3. Mistings twice a day and a dripper 4 hours a day. From these photos (he is camera shy) does he look healthy despite his rough start? These where taken while free ranging under supervision. Thanks all!

Attachments

• 53E5956D-E23B-4578-9DD7-E1E38B312769.jpeg
    53E5956D-E23B-4578-9DD7-E1E38B312769.jpeg
    168.8 KB · Views: 81
  • D9FB54BA-4EFD-42A8-AD62-5FBA351B83D4.jpeg
    D9FB54BA-4EFD-42A8-AD62-5FBA351B83D4.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 98971F8A-5FBE-4E46-9524-587751D4B4E0.jpeg
    98971F8A-5FBE-4E46-9524-587751D4B4E0.jpeg
    163.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 0F6B93AA-B4C1-43D5-AC92-A01C37F814F5.jpeg
    0F6B93AA-B4C1-43D5-AC92-A01C37F814F5.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 95
Fill this out so we can see what your husbandry looks like and how you’re doing everything.
Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are great, get all angles and close as you can.
[/QUOTE]

I got Camilo over a month ago and his previous owner had him only on crickets, no gutloading aside from Fluker's orange cubes, and the compact uvb bulb. I am feeding gutloaded crickets and superworms with leafy greens, sweet potato and butternut squash. I'll be changing this up when my gutload runs out and will be adding some fruit in the mean time. I got a linear 5.0 t5ho bulb and am supplementing with calcium no D3 six days a week and on the 7th day rotating between a multi and calcium with D3. Mistings twice a day and a dripper 4 hours a day. From these photos (he is camera shy) does he look healthy despite his rough start? These where taken while free ranging under supervision. Thanks all!
Physically he looks great. No external signs of MBD which is wonderful since he was under a compact bulb with the last owner. From what you included your on the right track with everything. For a more complete review you can fill out the help form posted above.

This is a great resource for learning complete husbandry. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Fill this out so we can see what your husbandry looks like and how you’re doing everything.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Male veiled, was purchased from petco at the end of April. I estimate he was born in January so I believe he is 7 months more or less.

Everyday to allow free range.

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Crickets and superworms, 7 crickets or 5 superworms in the morning after lights on. Gut-loaded with leafy greens, sweet potato and butternut squash.

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Repti Calcium without D3, Rep-Cal with D3 and Rep-Cal multivitamins.

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Handmist for around 2 minutes at 8:30 and at 5:30. I have a little dripper on top of cage. I have never seen him drinking.

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
Poop is hard and brown and the urate is white with cream colored tip. Never been to the vet.

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
He was purchased by a 15 year old and she surrendered him to me at the end of June. She gut-loaded with Fluker's orange cubes and misted twice daily. Only crickets. Cham would go days without eating sometimes.

Cage Info:
She gave him to me in the chameleon kit. He is getting the tall hybrid from Dragon Strand in September.

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
75 watts heat bulb, white light for reptiles. Uvb is Reptisun T5HO 5.0. On from 8 am to 8 pm.
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Digital thermometer. 90 at basking spot. Haven't measured lower cage. House stays at 75 to 80 degrees.

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Hydrometer and it is usually at 60 during the day, 70 and more at night.

2 croton live plants.
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

The cage is in my office, light foot traffic all day, on top of a shelving unit. Pretty high up. Not near any vents.

Florida.

Just wanting to make sure I am doing things correctly and that Camilo looks healthy.
[/QUOTE]

@lizcrespo93 See my feedback in red bold. :)

Chameleon Info:
Male veiled, was purchased from petco at the end of April. I estimate he was born in January so I believe he is 7 months more or less.

Everyday to allow free range.

Crickets and superworms, 7 crickets or 5 superworms in the morning after lights on. Gut-loaded with leafy greens, sweet potato and butternut squash. So superworms should be more of a treat say 1 or 2 a day. They can get hooked on them and refuse other feeders also they do not gutload well. At his age about 5-6 feeders a day is fine. I would start slowly working him over to an every other day feeding of 5-6 feeders in the next two months. When he hits a year old you want him on an every other day feeding of 3 feeders.

Repti Calcium without D3, Rep-Cal with D3 and Rep-Cal multivitamins. The schedule that you posted in your original post is correct :)

Handmist for around 2 minutes at 8:30 and at 5:30. I have a little dripper on top of cage. I have never seen him drinking. great.

Poop is hard and brown and the urate is white with cream colored tip. Never been to the vet.

He was purchased by a 15 year old and she surrendered him to me at the end of June. She gut-loaded with Fluker's orange cubes and misted twice daily. Only crickets. Cham would go days without eating sometimes.

Cage Info:
She gave him to me in the chameleon kit. He is getting the tall hybrid from Dragon Strand in September. You will love this enclosure ;) see my build thread here if you want ideas on how to set up and attach branches and pots. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/new-dragon-strand-hybrid-large-atrium-for-my-beman-3.176158/

75 watts heat bulb, white light for reptiles. Uvb is Reptisun T5HO 5.0. On from 8 am to 8 pm.
Digital thermometer. 90 at basking spot. Haven't measured lower cage. House stays at 75 to 80 degrees. So I would suggest dropping the basking temp back to 85 max. They do not need extreme heat. Please note for a T5HO fixture and a 5.0 bulb you want about a 9 inch drop from fixture to basking branch for the cham to be in the correct UVI level.

Hydrometer and it is usually at 60 during the day, 70 and more at night. 60% during the day is a bit high. 30-50% is more ideal. make sure the gauge is toward the top of the enclosure this will give you a more accurate level. If it is down in plants it will pull the moisture level from that gradient. Can be up to 100% at night without lights on when the cage is at its coolest.

2 croton live plants. I would suggest some pothos for the new cage. Crotons tend to be irritable when they do not get enough light so if they start to die off this could be the reason. See this link and go with the Veiled tested plant options. https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf

The cage is in my office, light foot traffic all day, on top of a shelving unit. Pretty high up. Not near any vents. Great

Florida.

Just wanting to make sure I am doing things correctly and that Camilo looks healthy.

Overall looks good. Ensure basking distance for proper UVB and get the basking temp down. If the basking level is closer then 9 inches this will be a risk both for thermal burns from the heat lamp and too high of a UVI level from the UVB lighting. Let us know if you have any questions. :)

Accurate info and Product links for things I like:

https://chameleonacademy.com/

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeptunetheChameleon?sub_confirmation=1

www.dragonstrand.com

https://tkchameleons.com/collections/accessories/products/shooting-gallery

chameleon-food(1).jpg
chameleon-gutload.jpg

Back
Top Bottom