Does behavior change during shedding?

Ladynyce

Hello Everyone;

Had a quick question, I was wondering when Chameleons shed, do their behaviour and eating habits change at all? I haven't seen my princess drink anything since her shed. But I am spraying her cage at least 4 Times a day regardless. It also seems like she opening her mouth to yawn a lot as well. Weird, but its her first shed since I brought her home.

Thanks for the feedback ;-)

My carpets slow down with eating the day before and the day after shedding.

Carl

Often they will be a bit "grumpy" and the yawning and puffing up is likely to free up some loose skin. Their appetite may go down a bit as well. It is a bit irritating for them while shedding so they wont be as happy as normal. As for drinking, just keep an eye on her urate and make sure it stays bright white and she'll be fine. ;)

Often they will be a bit "grumpy" and the yawning and puffing up is likely to free up some loose skin. Their appetite may go down a bit as well. It is a bit irritating for them while shedding so they wont be as happy as normal. As for drinking, just keep an eye on her urate and make sure it stays bright white and she'll be fine. ;)
Thank u, actuAlly I seen her go to the bathroom for the first time since I bought her this morning and when she went poo I seen a tiny worm like coming out of her bum! I jump up and ran to the cage and I guess I scared her and it went back inside her bum! is this maybe a worm she didn't digiest. As far as her yawning she's been doing it a lot lately and just sitting there with her mouth stuck up!

How are her temps? Is she sitting under her basking bulb with her mouth open or is she doing this randomly. If her temps are a bit too warm you may notice this behavior.

As for the poo, sometimes you will see partially un-digested food in it. Some of the worms have an exoskeleton that is more difficult to digest. What type of food do you give her? Of course a varied diet is best, but you haven't had her that long :).

Is this the WC melleri that you have? Pointing the head upward and gaping is also an indication of an Upper Respiratory Infection. You would have to have that checked out by a vet. Actually, if this is the wild caught animal a check-up and fecal might be a good idea anyways.

Perhaps you don't have a female? That 'worm that went back in' that you saw might be a sperm plug.

The worm may have been a round worm, I would get it to a vet for a fecal and respiratory check up immediately. Don't wait until it gets bad, most chameleons don't show problems until it's too late.

How are her temps? Is she sitting under her basking bulb with her mouth open or is she doing this randomly. If her temps are a bit too warm you may notice this behavior.

As for the poo, sometimes you will see partially un-digested food in it. Some of the worms have an exoskeleton that is more difficult to digest. What type of food do you give her? Of course a varied diet is best, but you haven't had her that long :).
Her temps are around 80-85, now that the winter is here I believe they put the heat on full blast as well. so my place is hot and I am feeding her crickets, silkworms and about 4 horn worms weekly.

Is this the WC melleri that you have? Pointing the head upward and gaping is also an indication of an Upper Respiratory Infection. You would have to have that checked out by a vet. Actually, if this is the wild caught animal a check-up and fecal might be a good idea anyways.

Perhaps you don't have a female? That 'worm that went back in' that you saw might be a sperm plug.
I have no idea whar kind of meller she is, but when she gasps her mouth stays open her head is not tilted upwards its straight and she doesn't make noise and she keeps her mouth open till I walk up to the cage. the worm I seen THIS morning was small and black and it look like she was pushing it out making a face with her mouth open. When I stood at the cage trying to see what was moving she stop trying to push it out and it went back in.

The worm may have been a round worm, I would get it to a vet for a fecal and respiratory check up immediately. Don't wait until it gets bad, most chameleons don't show problems until it's too late.
I had her now for 3 weeks I believe could if this happen in my care of the stores? I put a deposit on there male meller that they have there but I am here at the store now to get the money back. Not sure if they sold me the cham like this but I am not buying any other until I know what was coming out of her butt this morning.

Most Mellers have worms of some sort when they come in from the wild. It is very common to see them pass worms in their wastes when they come in. Most are given a single small dose of Panacure at the importers holding facility, but thus usually doesn't get most of the worms. Your vet needs to look at a fecal sample to determine which parasites it has, and prescribe a deworming dose based on its weight.

Also, I wouldn't introduce another melleri or any Cham to it until you've had yours for at least 3-4 months, and it passes a vet check, eats, and drinks properly on a regular schedule. You need to keep track of how much it eats daily, how long it's misted/watered, what it's weight is monthly, and any other general observations on its health.

Also, I wouldn't introduce another melleri or any Cham to it until you've had yours for at least 3-4 months, and it passes a vet check, eats, and drinks properly on a regular schedule. You need to keep track of how much it eats daily, how long it's misted/watered, what it's weight is monthly, and any other general observations on its health.
OKAY here is the scope for this afternoon.after school I went to the store where I bought her from I asked them for my money back for the male chameleon that I was going to buy. the female that I have now was in the same cage with the male the day I bought her. I told them that I wasn't going to buy him anymore because of the fact that I noticed this morning that my female had worms of course he tried to blame it on me so I called the vet and ask them if my female chameleon can get worms within 2 weeks after purchase. of course the vet told me that the Meller chameleon must have had it for a while for the parasites to turn into worms so I told them they shouldn't be selling chameleons that has have worms to customer I also ask them where do they get the Meller chameleons because they are not found in Canada and they are very rare in Canada but of course they told me that they have their supplier but I'm not stupid these chameleons were exported from the wild. So I went to another reptile store a little down the street and they have a lot of knowledge on chameleons and all reptiles need homie yes that it is parasites but it sounds like and her opening up her mouth must mean that she is too hot because of the fact that when her mouth is open her face is not pointing towards the ceiling her face is still straight there's no sound no crackling and there's no thick saliva. when the people at the reptile store told me that the parasites will slowly start eating away inside her I started crying I don't understand how I just bought this chameleon and this is even happening but I do understand that if she is from the wild she is exposed to getting parasites so I made an appointment today to bring her into the vet they told me they will check her out and that they will take a stool sample and they will test it to figure out what parasite she does have and give her medication I thought that she was going to die because the way they made it sound was that she's going to deteriate basically. Having chameleons are extremely emotional especially when you are attached. I love her and I won't give up on her clearly she could be faxed and clearly she can be treated you'll be fine. I'm just so thankful that I did see that today because if I haven't god knows how long she could've had it until I noticed and god knows how long she has hide it in the beginning. So I am taking it since she has parasites that the mail also has parasites because they were living in the same cage together until I bought her and separated them. I have also noticed since last evening her drinking has limited I sprayed the cage and I never see your drink but I do see your eat he eats a lot so I think that would be good for a stool sample. In her poo this morning it look normal and urine was white so no the hydration but I'm still worried because she isn't drinking. She's a big girl and she takes a lot and as a daily intake between food and water to now no water at all that I have noticed what can I do.

Oh man I was re-reading what I wrote i am sorry for the typos! I am on my phone posting and the auto correct is making so sense. I hope u can figure out what I am saying! Sorry again

The worms are almost always present in wild caught melleri and other chameleons, and they live with them with relatively few problems. It's when they get stressed from shipping and changing owners that the parasites can multiply explosively. I doubt your melleri is going to die in the immeadiate future from the worms, but they 100% need to be addressed and treated.
Melleri like their temps in the mid 70's, with a spot source of heat around 85. They need very large amounts of water. Mine usually won't start drinking until they have been misted for 5-10min. You need to invest in a automated misting system. I have a mistking, that runs 30min, 3 times a day on my melleri.

The worms are almost always present in wild caught melleri and other chameleons, and they live with them with relatively few problems. It's when they get stressed from shipping and changing owners that the parasites can multiply explosively. I doubt your melleri is going to die in the immeadiate future from the worms, but they 100% need to be addressed and treated.
Melleri like their temps in the mid 70's, with a spot source of heat around 85. They need very large amounts of water. Mine usually won't start drinking until they have been misted for 5-10min. You need to invest in a automated misting system. I have a mistking, that runs 30min, 3 times a day on my melleri.
When you bought your beautiful Meller did you have issues like me? Abd can u tell by my pics on my profile if she is a WC meller I don't even know what the WC EVEN MEANS! but she hasn't drank again tonight! So that's day 2 no water but she's eating and like I said before her urate is white but her eyes don't look the same and this is where my first question comes in ... is it because she is shedding? ?? She seems miserable! I mist for 5 mins but I have no problem adding another 5 if I have to. And is mellers hard to keep? Should I get a humidifier?

WC means wild caught. It was pulled from a tree in Tanzania or Malawi.

Almost every wild caught chameleon will have some type of parasite. What type of parasite isn't as important to know as what the treatment is for that parasite or parasites. Give your vet a call and tell them you are going to bring in a fresh fecal (poo) sample and you would like it tested. Once it is tested make an appointment to bring the chameleon in so it can be weighed and the dosage of medication can be figured out. The sooner you can do this the better.

This is the process for wild caught chameleons no matter who they come from.

Carl

WC means wild caught. It was pulled from a tree in Tanzania or Malawi.

Almost every wild caught chameleon will have some type of parasite. What type of parasite isn't as important to know as what the treatment is for that parasite or parasites. Give your vet a call and tell them you are going to bring in a fresh fecal (poo) sample and you would like it tested. Once it is tested make an appointment to bring the chameleon in so it can be weighed and the dosage of medication can be figured out. The sooner you can do this the better.

This is the process for wild caught chameleons no matter who they come from.

Carl
Thank you once again Carol! Do you think its a good idea to take the worm out the next time I see her poo and the worm comes out of her bum (with gloves) I am in school for medical and I am trying to be an veterinary assistant, but I know there's a lot to learn about. I haven't hit parasites I am on the cardiovascular system now but do u think it's okay to take out the worm cuz when she passes her mouth opens like she's in pain!

I wouldn't pull it out. Get the fecal test done. Maybe you could get it done at school as a project.

I remember when the first Ankaramy pink panthers came in. They were so loaded with nasties that it looked like the fecals moved across the cage floor.

Carl

Back
Top Bottom