Does anyone know...?

Ethen44

How often is it that a panther chameleon will lay a 2nd, or 3rd clutch after one gestation period? I've heard that due to sperm retention they are able to have up to 7 clutches of eggs :O So my question is how long does it take for the female to recover before she starts producing more eggs? Also, what should I be feeding her? I've been giving her lots of calcium, no d3. I've also been giving her multivit's twice a month. My feeders are gutloaded with romain lettuce, oats, carrots, potatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, and the occasional tomato or apple. Is there anything that I can be doing better to help her recover? Any help is appreciated :) Thanks!

Is she getting outside on a daily basis for a least an hour to compensate for no d3?
Lettuce and tomatoes aren't doing anything for her, change to at least romaine, any dark leafy green.
I would be giving her supps more often than 2x a month, but that is a debate I don't want to get into at the moment.
My breeder says up to 3 clutches I think, but that I would have to confirm

Is she getting outside on a daily basis for a least an hour to compensate for no d3?
Lettuce and tomatoes aren't doing anything for her, change to at least romaine, any dark leafy green.
I would be giving her supps more often than 2x a month, but that is a debate I don't want to get into at the moment.
My breeder says up to 3 clutches I think, but that I would have to confirm

Forgive me, I forgot to mention I give her calcium with d3 with her multivitamins 2x a month. I've considered moving up to dusting with a multivitamin 3x a month, to compensate for the pregnancy. But nobody seemed fond of the idea. She has a reptisun 5.0 uvb bulb. She doesn't get outside often, I haven't been handling her since the gestation. That's good to know about the lettuce and tomatoes, I'll change that right away. Do you happen to know the time duration between the clutches? It's been a month as of tomorrow since she laid her eggs, and today she was showing gravid colors. I'm suspecting she may be getting pregnant. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the help:)

Still wondering what the time duration is between different clutches...any help would be great:D

My females go about 60 days between clutches. The most I have gotten from a retained clutch is 4 but that last clutch went bad after 2 months so can't truly say they were fertile. The eggs were nice and white as you would expect from a fertile clutch. The first 3 after mating all produced babies but the hatch rate goes down a little on the 3rd clutch in my experience.

My females go about 60 days between clutches. The most I have gotten from a retained clutch is 4 but that last clutch went bad after 2 months so can't truly say they were fertile. The eggs were nice and white as you would expect from a fertile clutch. The first 3 after mating all produced babies but the hatch rate goes down a little on the 3rd clutch in my experience.

Thank you, that helps A LOT. Do you have any tips as to increasing the hatch rate for the next few retained clutches?

Unless you mate the female again there really is nothing you can do for increasing the hatch rate. I just incubate the eggs at the optimal temp and hope for the best.

Just to update everyone, she laid her 2nd clutch 58 days after her 1st. The second clutch seems to be much healthier, there are no yellow blotches, and they are all a pearly white. Time for the waiting game :)

Also, I upped her temperature for a few days after she laid her clutch. Does anyone have any thoughts or regards to this? My thinking was that it could help her metabolize at a faster rate and speed up her recovery.

I've heard that, that for a few days at least she should be a little warmer and fed more. BUT I've only heard this when you keep them in the "cooler method," where they live at about 80*F most of their lives. Mine just laid, so her temp is at 85, but it will be going back down to try to keep her from laying big clutches.

I've heard that, that for a few days at least she should be a little warmer and fed more. BUT I've only heard this when you keep them in the "cooler method," where they live at about 80*F most of their lives. Mine just laid, so her temp is at 85, but it will be going back down to try to keep her from laying big clutches.

She has been loving the extra heat, I'm just now moving it back down to regular temperatures (82 degrees basking, 77 middle, 74 bottom.) I had everything just a few degrees warmer immediately after she laid, and she seemed to appreciate it :)

Back
Top Bottom