Does anyone know if chameleons can swim...

Tez

I was wondering if it would do my little angel any harm if I lowered her into a ice cream tub of Luke warm water and supported her with my hand,the idea is physiotherapy for her limbs,I just wondered whether her arms and legs would sink or float,has anyone tried this or know anyone that has,the vet says it would not harm her but he also said he had never tried it,she has MDB....

Many thanks..

Tez..

One of my panthers fell in some water and he did swim .it was a survival type bof swim .but in your case I would hold him .

Chameleons are adapted for life in the trees and not in the water but they can swim if need be. Not well by any stretch but they can.

While it's an interesting idea for muscle tone and such I wouldn't use swimming as physiotherapy for your chameleon. I would think the stress of being forced into the water (an unnatural place to be) would ultimately do more harm than than good health wise.

Ok Thanks guys,does anyone know the best way to give my poor little angel some physiotherapy....

She is not able to hold her own body weight so she is on lying on a sheet in he bottom of her viv...
Any ideas for physiotherapy....?

I would think just getting nutrients into her is the most important thing. After that, maybe some small branches and logs laying on the ground so she can try climbing when she is ready. She will likely want to be off the ground, even if it is just barely.

How about holding her in your hand? Is she ok or does she stress? Putting her in the water would seem like a big stressor. The crawling in sticks laying on the bottom, seems good, I had a rescue with mbd and I bought a 6 ft carpet for him to crawl on. he also could not lift his body off the ground. That was the only way we were able to get him to exercise. He lived in a low tote.

Physical therapy is really not needed at this stage and can do more harm than good. The bones are very fragile and the best way to get her back to be able to hold her own weight up is to support her bone health so they are strong enough. Physical therapy is more for muscular support, but with MBD it's not the muscles that are the problem. Since the bones are so weak moving the legs too much can cause more damage or breaks. Appropriate treatment for MBD is paramount, and providing a safe environment like laying on a towel in a small, short cage is best so they don't hurt themselves.

Here's some more information on MBD: What Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD) looks like, how it happens, and how to fix it

Ok thanks for that,all taken on board,I will keep you posted on her health.

Once again thankyou all.....

Tez....

Back
Top Bottom