Worries about UVB

KarmaNat

so within the past week or so my panther chameleon has not been very well. she has not been eating a lot or drinking as much and so I’ve got her in for the vet tomorrow as she doesn’t seem great. I wasn’t sure if she was dehydrated at first as she has been refusing water but I have changed her UVB light I was just wondering if anyone had the same sort of experience or knew whether she’d be back to her normal self after this sort of issue. She has been really lethargic and slow and sleeping quite a bit over the past two days so I didn’t know whether the UVB light needed to be changed so now I’ve done that I don’t know whether how long it will take for her to start feeling the effects of that or whether it would improve quickly or I’ve had about two years and I’ve never had this issue before but she’s in to the vet tomorrow anyway. I apologise if the question doesn’t really make sense I’m just stressed and trying to get answers quickly. I’m not even sure whether the UVB is the issue or whether there is something else but I’m just thinking of all possibilities

Hello!

Chams hide their ailments VERY well, it's built into them instinctually. It's very good that you've got a vet appointment for her. There could be a lot of causes for her issues, but sleeping during the day is a pretty dire sign.

I'd suggest posting pictures of your cham, your cage setup (including lighting), and fill out the below form - the more information people like @MissSkittles and @Beman have, the better they can help suggest what might be wrong. In the end, a vet appointment is going to be the best bet, so you're already ahead of the game.

Also, since you have a female - do you have a lay bin in the cage for her? Describe that in your cage info if so. The more detailed you are with your answers here, the better people can help.

As far as UVB issues, corrected lights/supplements/etc. can take a while to show improvements, so it's very hard to answer.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom