Do you need to keep any lights on at night

Sorry.... still don't agree....

It's definitely wrong to tell people "never" use them.

I don't think I said "never"

I don't believe that should continue to be said here.

Sorry....don't agree....

I received a Panther from a breeder who kept the guy in below 70 degree temps at night outside.

Sounds like the cham didn't get a chance to warm up in the morning. I am glad you saved the cham.

Any new keepers reading this, it is a good idea to check on your chameleon regularly. You want to be sure he/she is not developing any health issues while experiencing temperature swings similar to it's origin.

Any new keepers reading this, it is a good idea to check on your chameleon regularly. You want to be sure he/she is not developing any health issues while experiencing temperature swings similar to it's origin.

I think newer Panther owners will have a more enjoyable experience if they don't play "Survival of the Fittest" with their new chameleon. The challenge of getting things right for a new owner is difficult enough without adding possible stresses and possible causes of a negative outcome. Others, like me, with a huge investment in rare locals may also choose to keep conditions within a more narrow range for the sake of long term survival.

Thanks

I think newer Panther owners will have a more enjoyable experience if they don't play "Survival of the Fittest" with their new chameleon. The challenge of getting things right for a new owner is difficult enough without adding possible stresses and possible causes of a negative outcome. Others, like me, with a huge investment in rare locals may also choose to keep conditions within a more narrow range for the sake of long term survival.

I think new keepers will read around the forum and find a lot of info and will come to their own conclusions. Making it easy for your cham makes them weak. I think its a good idea to just disagree instead of going back and forth.;)

Onward....

I agree that others will read discussions like this and come to their own conclusions about certain things. I certainly have. However, I will continue to express my opinion on both the lighting and the temperature matters any time I encounter it in future threads. Onward....

I would suggest that zero light at night is the better option IMHO. that said, I'm sure chameleons in the wild adjust to nights with a full moon, so a dim red or similar light at night probably wont do terrible harm ;)

I've kept multiple panthers for more than ten years, including breeding and raising babies, and a night time drop to 65F/18C is in no way harmful. I have never had a chameleon with a respiratory issue. I dont say this to be argumentative, I just wouldnt want anyone to unnecessarily worry about temperature. It is certainly not unheard of for winter temps in Madagascar to be lower than 65F at night.

I think you are missing my point....

I think you are missing my point....I'm not talking about people with years and years of experience. I firmly believe that new owners or those without much experience who are getting a new cham should keep things a little warmer until the cham is firmly established and the owner is totally comfortable in his or her care for the cham. If the new chameleon turns out to be a healthy sturdy individual then you can change things a bit. But not all chameleons are created equally as strong and robust. The typical first time Panther owner has no real idea about the health or quality of the cham he/she has received until they either take off in growth or get sick. This forum sees new owners come to the forum every day with sick chams. Immune systems and metabolism systems are boosted by that extra few degrees of heat at night. It does not make a healthy chameleon weak. It makes a potentially weak chameleon more likely to recover and adjust well and get a good start in a new home. I personally know of multiple cases where this has proven to be true or where the health improved after a boost in the night time temperature.

And as for the red heat bulbs......they don't do ANY harm at all. Chameleons do not perceive them as light. My chams all sleep on a branch right underneath one. They could sleep anywhere but they seek it out in their 70 degree overall cage temperature every night.

Informative thread...until the fighting.. But hm, didn't know some of this stuff. I would have figured no light whatsoever is good, didn't know about the red bulbs.

Informative thread...until the fighting.. But hm, didn't know some of this stuff. I would have figured no light whatsoever is good, didn't know about the red bulbs.

I wouldn't call that a fighting.
A disagreement, perhaps.
Both has valid points.

My point is the night light can be used when the temp goes below the comfort zone of your chameleon.
Living in California and being a californian who is a bit afraid of the cold, it's quite rare anyway for the temp inside my house to drop below 65. Thus, I do not use night light to save money :)

Im not talking about people with years of experience either - I'm talking about the real needs of panther chameleons.

My chameleons wake up if a red light is turned on, so they most certainly CAN perceive it. For better or worse, I would guess PardalisGirl's chameleons are just habituated to the constant light.

One thing we might agree on - There are no hard and fast rules. :)

Syn - sorry that you found the conversation advisarial (fighting). Not my purpose - My intent was to have a simple informational discussion.

Will sign off this one now to ensure no ill will.

Good luck!

I agree that others will read discussions like this and come to their own conclusions about certain things. I certainly have. However, I will continue to express my opinion on both the lighting and the temperature matters any time I encounter it in future threads. Onward....

Is this some sort of crusade?

Crusade: any vigorous, aggressive movement for the defense or advancement of an idea, cause, etc.

Back
Top Bottom