Do You Mist at Night?

Derrick

I was thinking...

I got an automatic mister for my new chameleon. Do you guys leave your mister on at night or shut it off and turn it back on in the morning? I've been planning on living mine on at all times but then I thought that if you hand mist, you can't mist all through the night so maybe it shouldn't be done.

Any thoughts?

I was thinking...

I got an automatic mister for my new chameleon. Do you guys leave your mister on at night or shut it off and turn it back on in the morning? I've been planning on living mine on at all times but then I thought that if you hand mist, you can't mist all through the night so maybe it shouldn't be done.

Any thoughts?

There is no need IMO to mist at night. Some might tell you it will make your chameleon sick. Personally I think that is BS. I have housed my chameleons outside when possible since I started keeping them. Day and night. They have endured many rain showers and pretty good storms too, day and night. Mother nature does not hold off on raining for the poor helpless little chameleons:D Most will have their first misting soon after the lights come on to simulate morning dew. Besides always doing this I feel it is important to research your type of chameleons natural habitat and setting your mister according to seasonal patterns.

Last edited:
I sleep at night!

Personally, im a poor student, and cannot afford one of those automatic fandangled mister things (although that will be my next extravagant purchase :D ) - but a healthy chameleon should sleep at night - so theres no need to mist during the night. Lately I've been up super early, before my cham lights come on, and have misted him as soon as the lights come on and he's drunk lots then :)

when I had my system I had it run once in the morning and an hour before the lights go off...

I'm with Cain, I don't think it's necessary. Mine get plenty of water during the day, so I don't think the nighttime humidity is an important factor. If mine are outside and it rains, then so be it, but I'm not going to simulate that inside, it doesn't seem worth it or that it is a great health benefit to them.

it is perfectly fine to mist at night!!!!!! what? it never rains in the wild at night?
wow, such spoiled brats you guys have.

if the humidity is beyond too low, YES, I mist at night....I try to avoid getting the cham wet, so just mist the sides of the cages, but they sometimes get a shower from my misting system if I'm lazy or my back is killing me.

you people in Florida crack me up. you guys/ladys think everyone has perfect humidity at all times of the year. no need my rear end...:p

Harry

it is perfectly fine to mist at night!!!!!! what? it never rains in the wild at night?

if the humidity is beyond too low, YES, I mist at night....I try to avoid getting the cham wet, so just mist the sides of the cages, but they sometimes get a shower from my misting system if I'm lazy or my back is killing me.

you people in Florida crack me up. you guys/ladys think everyone has perfect humidity at all times of the year. :p

Harry

lol good point harry. When I was operating my monster mister on a humidity range setting... it would mist at night if the RH dropped too low... but in general, it isn't needed, but is OK to do if levels are low. I keep melleri who love water... so it's not a big deal. But if temps are all whack at night I would think it might not be a great idea to mist at night in some cases, to avoid making your cham sick. :eek:

The OP's question sort of implies constant misting all day and maybe night.

Indoors I mist 20 minutes 2x per day. 1x a couple of hours after the lights come on and another a couple of hours before they go off for the night. I don't mist at night.

Outdoors I mist much longer, depending on temperatures because I use the mister to provide a cool part of the enclosures during the hot afternoons. This past summer was very hot- most days 90s and many days 95+ so I had misters on several hours per day most days.

lol good point harry. When I was operating my monster mister on a humidity range setting... it would mist at night if the RH dropped too low... but in general, it isn't needed, but is OK to do if levels are low. I keep melleri who love water... so it's not a big deal. But if temps are all whack at night I would think it might not be a great idea to mist at night in some cases, to avoid making your cham sick. :eek:

Of course if they are "all whack":D or way too low for a particular species it wouldnt be a good idea. I do keep chams that like the super low temp drops at night. Many times this over rides some thoughts on the low land species. If humidity is a problem I suggest getting a humidifier:p I spent quite a bit on mine. Its lasted a while and will really pump out the humidity in my room. I think I paid 160$ for it at Lowes. One of the best investments since keeping montane chameleons.

Post is from 2011 and just about all haven’t been around since then. @Bizzo the current recommendation for night time is if one is able to achieve a significant night temperature drop to below at least 68-70, then you should mist/fog to increase humidity as high as possible. This is to simulate the natural hydration chameleons achieve in the wild through night time fog and dewy foliage to wake up to.

Post is from 2011 and just about all haven’t been around since then. @Bizzo the current recommendation for night time is if one is able to achieve a significant night temperature drop to below at least 68-70, then you should mist/fog to increase humidity as high as possible. This is to simulate the natural hydration chameleons achieve in the wild through night time fog and dewy foliage to wake up to.
Thank you 👍🏽

I have my mister go off at night severeal time. Need to have my fogger, clean build and reassemble too aswell.

you people in Florida crack me up. you guys/ladys think everyone has perfect humidity at all times of the year. no need my rear end...:p

Harry
I live in Florida And I agree on Misting at night is fine Mother nature rains whenever she feels like it My mister is set for every 4 hours at 1 minute and my pretty girl seems to do just fine I might change it to every 6 hrs since I have a dripper as well but I don't see an issue

Back
Top Bottom