Do you guys think these silkworm eggs are still viable?

saskiat

So ive had moderate success breeding silkworms in the past. most worms die before reaching adulthood, eventually ended up with about 20 moths and then loooaads of eggs. Didn't try breeding them again as it was quite finnicky.
But I kept the eggs in the fridge. probably for longer than 6 months. I feel like the eggs look less puffed up and are a bit wrinkled compared to images I see on google.
Do you think they'll hatch?
Have kept them on top of my uvblamp hub to keep warm for the past two days.

Attachments

• 20200129_191932.jpg
    20200129_191932.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 190
They look pretty dried out... but it can't hurt to try to hatch them. How long have they been out already? They do get a little wrinkly when hatching. At 6 months your hatch rates take a hit, but you may still get some to hatch, so put 'em on top of the cage and see what happens!

They look pretty dried out... but it can't hurt to try to hatch them. How long have they been out already? They do get a little wrinkly when hatching. At 6 months your hatch rates take a hit, but you may still get some to hatch, so put 'em on top of the cage and see what happens!

Yeahh I figured they'd be dead or dehydrated lol.. theyve been out for 3 days I think, so not long enough for them to be hatching.
Might have been even longer fridge time than 6 months :oops:
Ill just keep them out, who knows maybe a few will hatch.
In the mean time I guess I'll hunt for some online store that sells fresh eggs, they are hard to find!

Yeahh I figured they'd be dead or dehydrated lol.. theyve been out for 3 days I think, so not long enough for them to be hatching.
Might have been even longer fridge time than 6 months :oops:
Ill just keep them out, who knows maybe a few will hatch.
In the mean time I guess I'll hunt for some online store that sells fresh eggs, they are hard to find!

I know a guy... lol

Never mind, I do not know a guy :p Sorry, didn't realize you were overseas. Sorry about that. Do try to hatch them, though, as you might be surprised.
Haha don't worry :) there are some silkworm breeders here too, but they are often sold out. Ill just see if some miracle worms survived my >6 months of fridge torture :p

My fridge tortured eggs take about 9 days to hatch. They do have a horrible hatch rate after 6 months like 10% at best. Try storing them with a damp cotton ball next time.

Haha don't worry :) there are some silkworm breeders here too, but they are often sold out. Ill just see if some miracle worms survived my >6 months of fridge torture :p
Hi, I’m just lurking and saw this :D. I’m also from Europe and can’t find any silkworm or any worm breeders except for superworms and mealworms. Could you post the link to the website please? If you buy them online, that is.

Hooray! I found an online store that sells them (in bulk, however..)
So I now have 100 baby worms and 500 eggs that need to hatch (I cant put them in the fridge according to the store)
So in a lil while I will have way too many worms :)

The fridge eggs still show no sign of life, but Ill keep em warm just in case

Hooray! I found an online store that sells them (in bulk, however..)
So I now have 100 baby worms and 500 eggs that need to hatch (I cant put them in the fridge according to the store)
So in a lil while I will have way too many worms :)

The fridge eggs still show no sign of life, but Ill keep em warm just in case
If you let about 20 of the silkworms grow, cocoon and become moths, they’ll make you your own eggs and you can become your own silkworm supplier in a relatively short amount of time.

Back
Top Bottom