Do you believe in evolution?

pssh

Avid Member
Let me make this clear, LEAVE RELIGION OUT OF THIS! I don't want this thread cluttered and side tracked with topics that are against the rules anyways. We will refer to any outside stuff as a Devine intervention or something similarly neutral.

Anywho, do you believe in evolution? Why or why not?

There are many great arguments for both sides of the debate in my opinion and I'd love to hear yours! There are no wrong answers and I don't want anyone getting bashed on, Kay? This shouldn't go further than gentle, insightful debating. If this thread cannot follow this I'm going to ask to take it down if it hasn't already been by the time I ask.

Thanks.

My answer is yes, whole-heartedly. As a mol. biology student, I agree with the quote that says "nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution." The more you learn about science and evolution the more sense it makes, personally.

Unfortunately, I have to run out of the house now but I'll update with whys or rebuttles later.

haha...well idk if this will go further but i'll give it a try...
i do think evolution is partly at work....it does makes sense with biology, because it is the only way it would and they sorta support eachother, as Olimpia mentioned...

however i maybe somewhat religious....and i can only guess the poeple that will say no is because it is due to that "devine intervention"

i can only assume that people who believe will be open about it and explain, while the people that say no will hardly back that up...i could be wrong though...

i mean maybe its a little sense of pride that make people refrain from believing that there is a theoretical evidence and support that ," hey we humans came from monkeys":p....sorry if i am generalizing it. of our ancestry through evolution.

but what ammuses me is that people believe so much that they consider it a fact, but "technically" it is no more than a theory....unless time travel would be done;)

eh...either way i find it cool...i mean c'mon a T-rex is related to a chicken:D haha

i hope this thread will enlighten me and i hope no one takes offense to my post:)

My answer is yes, whole-heartedly. As a mol. biology student, I agree with the quote that says "nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution." The more you learn about science and evolution the more sense it makes, personally.

Unfortunately, I have to run out of the house now but I'll update with whys or rebuttles later.

I am right there with Olimpia -with a Mol. biology degree! Absolutely yes!

but what ammuses me is that people believe so much that they consider it a fact, but "technically" it is no more than a theory....unless time travel would be done;)

eh...either way i find it cool...i mean c'mon a T-rex is related to a chicken:D haha

i hope this thread will enlighten me and i hope no one takes offense to my post:)

"technically no more than a theory"???? There is plenty of evolutionary proof out there! Come on!

As a scientific student I say absolutely 100% yes evolution. There is too much evidence to ignore in fossils, phylogenetics, and molecular studies that show the link time and time again. Just considering how easy it is to see natural selection and how you can actually see evolution at work in short generation populations of species seems like pretty darn good evidence to me! No we don't know everything about it, but it seems pretty foolish to me to disregard everything we've found just because a few of the puzzle pieces are missing.

Good thing we don't apply the same logic as divine intervention to math equations! 2X + 3 = 7 We have to assume what X may be so therefore God could make it whatever he wants and the rest of the equation may be entirely fabricated! X is actually banana. ;)

I think I'm now going to step out now and ignore the progress of this thread since I can only imagine the fun that's about to begin... :D

I am right there with Olimpia -with a Mol. biology degree! Absolutely yes!

"technically no more than a theory"???? There is plenty of evolutionary proof out there! Come on!

i know:)...but tell that to certain people;)...haha, you proved my point:D...but eh...like i said....i believe in the theory of evolution...it does make sense and the evidence found so far does support it if not prove it...bit it still "techincally" a theory....its a not a law yet, which i feel its more of other concerns than the "lack of evidence to prove it"....

As a scientific student I say absolutely 100% yes evolution. There is too much evidence to ignore in fossils, phylogenetics, and molecular studies that show the link time and time again. Just considering how easy it is to see natural selection and how you can actually see evolution at work in short generation populations of species seems like pretty darn good evidence to me! No we don't know everything about it, but it seems pretty foolish to me to disregard everything we've found just because a few of the puzzle pieces are missing.

Good thing we don't apply the same logic as divine intervention to math equations! 2X + 3 = 7 We have to assume what X may be so therefore God could make it whatever he wants and the rest of the equation may be entirely fabricated! X is actually banana. ;)

I think I'm now going to step out now and ignore the progress of this thread since I can only imagine the fun that's about to begin... :D

lmao!!! you made me laugh:D......and i bet your looking at this thread anytime to just jump in, when "the fun is about to begin";)...haha

though "divine interventtion" is controversial to say the least....i feel it is the poeple rather than the "devine intervention" that claim such things....

look at the ,mayan civilization. they got mad math skills;) and most likely still had a "devine intervention".....they just balance it out.....

but again, math is not science, it is a part of science, math is unquestionable, but science and devine intervention is:D

if math was questionable, than i dont think we would accomplish alot of what we do know...with the math problem 2+2=banana :p

but so far i hope more people chime in with their opinions and on this rather debatealbe matter....im am being enlightened:D:D:)

Saying evolution doesn't happen is like saying:
1) world is flat
2) gravity doesn't exist
3) that the Sun orbits the Earth

It amazes me that the debate is still going on after 150 years.

Well, from what I understand, the main reasoning for not believing in evolution (scientifically) is because we have not actually seen it happen. There are also very few, if any, 'transitional' specimens between species.

I haven't researched too much into this, but I have spoken with a few doctors that do not believe in evolution without some form of outside intervention. Those reasons above were the main things behind their beliefs.

I do wonder why we haven't been able to speed up the evolutionary process and create new species when we know for a fact that mutation in a population is not necessarily a long process.

Well, from what I understand, the main reasoning for not believing in evolution (scientifically) is because we have not actually seen it happen. There are also very few, if any, 'transitional' specimens between species.

I haven't researched too much into this, but I have spoken with a few doctors that do not believe in evolution without some form of outside intervention. Those reasons above were the main things behind their beliefs.

I do wonder why we haven't been able to speed up the evolutionary process and create new species when we know for a fact that mutation in a population is not necessarily a long process.

What you said does not make very much sense here.

OK-pssh-what is your education level?

Do you understand how much time it has taken for us to get where we are?

I am still not understanding? still in highschool.

I mean, if we are this far along, why can't we speed up the process? We can change the physical characteristics of a certain species, but why can't we take it a step further?

What about that doesn't make sense? And how does me explaining some doctor's opinions and thoughts? And what doesn't make sense about me summarizing the general opposing arguments? Being negative in such a blunt way without explaining anything and sounding like you are condescending towards me is EXACTLY how I didn't want this to go. Maybe I'm taking it wrong, but that's how I'm seeing your posts.

I mean, if we are this far along, why can't we speed up the process? We can change the physical characteristics of a certain species, but why can't we take it a step further?

have you seen splice the movie??? lol jk

No No No...Not meaning to be condescending. You simply do not have enough information yet to really argue wither side. Without a decent amount of molecular biology and genetics it is easy to say there is no real proof. You also do not understand why it takes as long as it takes. However there are major advancements in these fields-BUT-they are not natural.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fJaxBT52u0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyRA807djLc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVneqhu9oZk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVqJ_mQazik

That's such a great question Kara because it has everything to do with chameleons. If you want to learn about evolution and see proof of its existence, one needs to not look any further than to the native island of the chameleon, Madagascar. Because it broke away from Africa millions of years ago and remained in seclusion; the speed of evolution increased, creating more species of animals and plants that exist on that island that don't exist anywhere else on the planet. There are also more subspecies of animals there than anywhere else on earth (again the chameleon is in this grouping).That is because evolution made them adapt for their survival, thus continuing to change their ever being. Unfortunately, our human evolution on Madagascar is taking over as their population is VERY quickly increasing. We are loosing so much natural value each day there.

I'm not arguing. Just explaining in summary from what I understand. I assume others might think that the only opposing train of thought would be religious, so I just thought I'd throw it down.

I Haven't taken any genetics classes, but I have taken molecular biology classes. I do indeed understand that it can take a long time for species to become distinct enough to be considered a new species, but I also know that we have found genetic mutations in certain animals that can completely change the structure of their bodies and other characteristics. This can happen in only one or two generations in some cases. Now, if we have figured out these major genetic differences that stem from only a small mutation, why can't we figure out how to keep manipulating these changes so that the animals become a different species? I'm sure we will get there, but I feel like we should already be there.

I haven't really been able to find a definitive definition of what is considered a species. I think it may or may not help me to understand you more clearly if I knew what you consider a distinct species.

I have a question! How come evolution stopped for humans. If we came from apes why arent there still some in transition? We have apes and humans and nothing in between and none are currently changing! This is a serious question, and I am aware evolution was over a long period of time, but since us humans have been able to record events happening there is nothing about a half man half ape? Ya know what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom