Do people Gutload fruit flies??

Twitchet

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hi everyone, Is it possible to gutload fruit flies for my pygs and baby jacksons?( I dont actually know whether a fruit fly has mouth parts to take up lots of food either? - i would prefer to use natural plants rather than a pre made dry powder mix) I dust them to a schedule but just wondered if i could make them a mix to get some real nutrients inside them, I wondered about a bit of orange juice and purees collards if I could make it fine enough? Could I use bee pollen let down in a little water? Then am I asking for trouble using certain fruits-vit A??, You can grate and squeeze carrot and sweet potato i guess. Maybe no one does this at all and for a good reason. Just thought if im gutloading everything else why not the flies?
Love to know any opinions.

I do, my mix that I have as a medium for my fruit flies is very rich in nutrition! I also add tumeric, spirulina grated carrots, molasses and calcium. Some of it I hope, makes it to the chameleon! During the process of becoming a fly most nutrients in the maggots body gets used up. Once the fly is out and about they do eat a little of the medium so I consider the gutloaded! Hope that helps!

While udderly disgusting if soaked in cotton ball...

bee pollen
powdered milk
honey
molasses
fruits
fruit juice
reptile vitamins dissolved in some of the above.

Wow, that's fascinating- I'm so pleased you both say you do- Now I know I will definitely make up a mix for them, I buy a culture medium for my ff cultures and its a really super good one with tons of vits and minerals added to the main mix, I always make a bit as a food for the adults that I will be feeding just to keep them going a bit longer so i guess they have had something added but now I'll be experimenting with the above,i guess as long as one chooses carefully it should all be beneficial, Great info guys, Thanks very much- never has news about gutload a fly been so enthusiasticaly welcomed. :)

Back
Top Bottom