Do I open the egg container and add water to the corner of the containers?

Panda26

Hey guys my veiled chameleon layed eggs on Wednesday. They are incubating but I don’t see any condensation building up. I am using hatch right. Should I add water to the corner of each container?

Are the eggs shrinking in?
How did you set up the egg incubating container? Plastic container with a lid? Holes in the container? How deep is the hatch rite and how moist?
How are you incubating them? I'm an incubator? Somewhere else?

Too much humidity is NOT your friend. I spray lightly all over the surface of the box, eggs included, about once every 2 weeks. But that is what works for me, with my house humidity level and such. Each setup is going to have different parameters. I use plastic shoe boxes with "Press and Seal" for a lid, with toothpick holes in the top for venting. I cover all of the boxes with towels to cut out light and keep them on a plastic shelf that is out of the way so it won't get bumped, and out of the light. I check each box visually once a week to be sure there is nothing funky going on, but no more than that. I know my particular variety (panthers) take around 9 months +/- 1 for me, so when a clutch gets closer, I up the checks to every 3 days, looking for windowing and/or sweating as indicators.

But as I said, that's what works for me. Ask a dozen people and you will probably get a dozen different methods.

I would not spray the eggs...there's supposed to be a "bloom" on the eggs to protect them and you'll likely wash it off.

All my egg hatching containers had beads of moisture on the walls and on the underside of the lids. I had an almost perfect hatch rate of all fertile eggs and the only eggs I ever had mold grow on we're the ones that I removed from a female that died from a non-reproductive issue just before she laid her eggs. since they didn't pass out of her I think they missed the protective coating.

Back
Top Bottom