do I have the right to "force" the forum?

little leaf

Avid Member
am I being to fussy about who gets my baby Jacksons? I have ppl who want them ( all local) and more ppl than I have chams , but I WILL NOT sell them unless they have a good rep/ vet, they will have to show me a pic of their cage, and also join the forum - I wont be letting any go just yet, I want them to be older - and I am in no hurry to sell them either - but I get ppl who want them asking me about every other day if I am ready to get rid of them yet , but I just dont know if I am being to picky about this- I am going to basically make them show me the same info I would require when I sold my foals, and give up my fosters - there are only 6, and 3 are already spoken for ( those 3 are going to cham ppl who already know chams :), this would kinda be more for anyone who has not already had a cham - I just feel they deserve the best homes I can get for them - is anyone else this picky ? I have never sold a cham- so I dont know how it goes ~ :confused:

am I being to fussy about who gets my baby Jacksons? I have ppl who want them ( all local) and more ppl than I have chams , but I WILL NOT sell them unless they have a good rep/ vet, they will have to show me a pic of their cage, and also join the forum - I wont be letting any go just yet, I want them to be older - and I am in no hurry to sell them either - but I get ppl who want them asking me about every other day if I am ready to get rid of them yet , but I just dont know if I am being to picky about this- I am going to basically make them show me the same info I would require when I sold my foals, and give up my fosters - there are only 6, and 3 are already spoken for ( those 3 are going to cham ppl who already know chams :), this would kinda be more for anyone who has not already had a cham - I just feel they deserve the best homes I can get for them - is anyone else this picky ? I have never sold a cham- so I dont know how it goes ~ :confused:

I don't blame you. I would be the same way. Believe me, it is best if their new families have the proper set up and have done their research before bringing one home. I use to work at a big chain pet store and use to get fussed at because I would tell people about what it really takes to take proper care of the animals we sold. I ALWAYS told them to go home and do a lot of research and then decide if the wanted pet was right for their family. I would love to have a jacksons one day but I want to make sure I have what it needs to be happy and healthy. I don't know what I would do without this forum. There are a lot of members who have helped me and made sure I was doing the best thing for Rebel. Membership should be a requirement :D

I was the exact same way with Luie and Camille's babies. When I think back on it, I don't know how I ever parted with those sweet babies.

I was the exact same way with Luie and Camille's babies. When I think back on it, I don't know how I ever parted with those sweet babies.

that is just about the point i am at- lol I will keep them before I give them to someone I will lay awake at night and worry about- I just was not sure if I was being to fussy - :rolleyes:

Membership should be a requirement :D

I agree !! :) ( as a matter of fact - IT IS - LOL )

thanks guys

I totally agree with what you are doing. Taking care of those who you bring into your home is something important. They should already be doing research like crazy because Jacksons are far from easy chams to keep XD I applaud your love of the little ones in your care, I know I would be doing the same thing ^^

thanks guys - I know there are a few ppl who will not be happy w/ me about it, but it makes me feel better w/ all of your support :)
I am working with them so they are not frightened of being asked to step up on to your hand- they all are happy to do so :) and that way too , the new owner can look them over easily should there be any issue w/ them

While you're at it, you can send one my way! :D Man oh man how I wish Jacksons were more available in my generally area.
You're doing the right thing, and you'd better believe I'd do the exact same thing! I even tell my local pet stores about CF now, making sure they know that it exists and any people they sell chameleons to should be well aware of the site. We CF folk are a bunch of loonies ;)

While you're at it, you can send one my way! :D Man oh man how I wish Jacksons were more available in my generally area.
You're doing the right thing, and you'd better believe I'd do the exact same thing! I even tell my local pet stores about CF now, making sure they know that it exists and any people they sell chameleons to should be well aware of the site. We CF folk are a bunch of loonies ;)

I am ALWAYS posting the link to CF on a bunch of pages on FB - if I see one question about a cham- I zap the link to them :p

I don't think you are doing anything wrong.

When you adopt a pet from a shelter, they do checks to make sure you arent buying a great dane for a 800 s/f apartment.

Its all apart of being a good breeder or just being a "puppy mill"

I want to get into breeding one day, and I know i won't let my precious babies go anywhere unless i know the people taking them will give them the same care i would.

I asked many potential buyers to complete a care questionaire, to ensure they knew they basics. I lost a few sales, but I probably prevented a few untimely deaths too. But even that was no guaratee - and joining the forum isnt going to help much either. Lots of people join and never post or learn.

I did this exact same thing last week and the person I refused then publicly stated on reptile forums that my chameleons where all ill with burns and other problems
It's their for all to read on reptile forums, the chameleon thread but I put my point across and it looks to me that I came across well but it just shows how vindictive people are
May I add that I had never meet the person and they had never seen my chameleons

You can refuse to sell to anyone that doesn't meet your criteria.
I didn't sell to someone because they had dirty fingernails. Trust me it's true.

I understand I may get "bashed" a bit- lol I dont care- they will look very stupid when the ppl I do sell to are posting healthy, CUTE , happy babies :)
one I "ruled out" already because I did not like what they said about their dog !! :p

You have the right to only sell to card-carrying NRA members if you like :D

I think what you are doing sounds like a responsible pet owner, that's all.
It is possible to push it a little too far I guess, as like sandrachameleon says there are still no guarantees.
I know of one pet shop near to me that was closed because the owners were convicted of some animal cruelty thing and banned from keeping them.
As long as you satisfy yourself that the people you are selling to seem ok, and have the best care information available then that is all you can do.

They are your chameleons and you have every right to be as choosy as you'd like to be.
Some people won't like it but then again they may be the most likely to not be bothered setting things up properly, either.
Better that your chams go to caring, conscientious people who are aware of all the care requirements and are willing to live up to those responsibilities.

As for vindictive people, it is a shame and I hope that Chameleonkev was able to sucessfully refute those slanderous claims.

Who would want a "headcase" like that to own one of their tenderly cared-for chams?

If you're claiming that your chameleons are not ill and doesn't have burns...I suggest you post pictures up as proof.

Hehe. Just kidding. I just want to see baby Jacksons with little horns. Haha.

I have a Panther but my buddy just got a Jackson the other day. Now I'm jealous...and might end up getting one too.

You are doing the right thing Cheryl... That is my main concern about breeding... I know I will get attached the babies and worry about their care after they are sold.

I could never do large scale breeding because once I have cared for a chameleon for more than a couple months I won't even consider selling them as I am too attached to view them as a sellable item instead of a little buddy.

I would have a hard time selling any breeders to make room for a new breeding project, so I would end up with dozens of pet chams (and probably a divorce) haha

I wrote my own caresheet based on what I've gotten from the forum over the last several years and I give that to every potential customer. Screening good keepers makes it tough to sell chameleons at shows, for example, but I always offer the buy now pick up later option so they can do their research and get help along the way and pick up the Cham when they are setup properly. I let everyone know these are not impulse buy type animals. Ive been pretty fortunate to have customers that keep in touch and send progress pics. Ultimately you have to make a judgement call and trust people are listening to what you are telling them. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

Back
Top Bottom