do I have the right to "force" the forum?

Keep in mind, We all started with that first chameleon. It's great you want them to go to a great home. My self I do something very similar.I have a fair amount of new chameleon keepers as customers, I really enjoy guiding them threw setting up there enclosure. And being there for them that first few weeks to answer any question that comes up.Its quite common for my new keeper customers to get a call a few days after they get there chameleon.Pass your knowledge... It's how we grow as a chameleon community........

One of the nice things about the more expensive species is that when a buyer pays a couple hundred bucks for a cham, they usually take their care more seriously. Notice how many sick or improperly cared for chams tend to be yemens.

I think it is a great idea. I would not want to send any of my animals to someone who might end up killing them. I would think the people would want to agree to your conditions.

Your not being too picky, some of these people had no idea what a Jackson's even was before you posted pictures of your babies.

I think it's a good idea to make sure that they are going to a good home, but sometimes the beginners aren't as bad as you think. In my case, we decided we wanted a panther for our first cham because of the colors, but we didn't have a ton of money since we are still in college. I told my boyfriend that he needed to have everything set up and ready before we even thought about bringing one home. He started talking to the guy that we got ours from in September, making sure we had everything perfect for a chameleon. He made it very clear to us that he's not in the business to make a ton of money, that he would rather have his chams go to good homes. I think it's very important to keep in contact with the buyers, let them know that you are always available for questions. Another big thing that he offered us was watching our cham if we ever need to go out of town, which was awesome! We know we can trust him and he would much rather watch him than have somebody who knows nothing about them do it. My boyfriend talks to him all the time, sends pictures, and gives updates on a daily basis. We know we can turn to him for any advice and he knows that his cham went to a good home :)

I think it's a good idea to make sure that they are going to a good home, but sometimes the beginners aren't as bad as you think. In my case, we decided we wanted a panther for our first cham because of the colors, but we didn't have a ton of money since we are still in college. I told my boyfriend that he needed to have everything set up and ready before we even thought about bringing one home. He started talking to the guy that we got ours from in September, making sure we had everything perfect for a chameleon. He made it very clear to us that he's not in the business to make a ton of money, that he would rather have his chams go to good homes. I think it's very important to keep in contact with the buyers, let them know that you are always available for questions. Another big thing that he offered us was watching our cham if we ever need to go out of town, which was awesome! We know we can trust him and he would much rather watch him than have somebody who knows nothing about them do it. My boyfriend talks to him all the time, sends pictures, and gives updates on a daily basis. We know we can turn to him for any advice and he knows that his cham went to a good home :)

I have no issue if it is their FIRST cham :) I just want them to know what they are getting into- and if they think just hearing all the info is a bother- well, then, I know they wont have what it takes to take care of one - but someone who has NEVER even had any type of reptile, well...not sure a cham is a good first rep/ - I know we all had to have our "first" :D and they will get as much support from me as they need, but that is also why they will have to join the forum - besides, anyone who gets one of mine would be the type to be on here anyway learning - it think its fun to learn :D

I have no issue if it is their FIRST cham :) I just want them to know what they are getting into- and if they think just hearing all the info is a bother- well, then, I know they wont have what it takes to take care of one - but someone who has NEVER even had any type of reptile, well...not sure a cham is a good first rep/ - I know we all had to have our "first" :D and they will get as much support from me as they need, but that is also why they will have to join the forum - besides, anyone who gets one of mine would be the type to be on here anyway learning - it think its fun to learn :D
I understand your concerns and I will have the same problem in a couple of months. My babies haven't even hatch yet and I'm so worried that I won't find good homes for all of them.
To bring something to the topic: my first cham (panther) was also the first reptile I've owned. I'm not saying that it was easy, I was worried sick for the first couple of weeks about him. I believe I'm quite a good owner and try to provide the best possible care I can. What I'm saying is, if someone is really dedicated, even the fact that they don't have experiance with chameleons or reptiles, doesn't mean they will not care properly for a chameleon. Yes, they will need a guidance and help, but they still can be a great owner.
I also think that people who didn't own chameleons before may have some advantage. I often hear about people keeping chams in incorrect conditions (at polish forum) who refuse to make necessary changes, because they were told by breeder/pet shop/friend that what they do is fine. Or they have kept chameleon in this condition for months and nothing was wrong, so they don't look for a problem in the conditions they are providing. While new keepers are more eager to listen and learn.
The decision is yours, and I understand all your worries. I'm not saying you should sell your babies to someone who doesn't have a clue about basic hubandry, but sometimes being a first time owner or not having experience with reptiles doesn't mean they will not have a loving and caring owner.

When my babies are ready for homes I will be making sure they are going to qualified owners, not just first come first serve. I would prefer reptile experience but if this is their first reptile and they can show me they have done the research and are interested in making everything optimal I would rather them get one than someone with a lot of reptiles who is just collecting more species. So I'm going to be asking questions and they need to send me a picture of the setup before I send them a baby. That's how picky I'm going to be. ;) This is why I could never own a petstore. They're your babies and you can do whatever you want to determine who should get them!

You have the right to force the forum but what I would do is just make sure there husbandry is correct and supplements, if you did make them join the forum they probably wouldn't stay.

When my babies are ready for homes I will be making sure they are going to qualified owners, not just first come first serve. I would prefer reptile experience but if this is their first reptile and they can show me they have done the research and are interested in making everything optimal I would rather them get one than someone with a lot of reptiles who is just collecting more species. So I'm going to be asking questions and they need to send me a picture of the setup before I send them a baby. That's how picky I'm going to be. ;) This is why I could never own a petstore. They're your babies and you can do whatever you want to determine who should get them!

yes, that is what I mean- IF they are going to be dedicated, I have no issue with a new person - and if it gets to much I am also going to be sure to let them know I will always take the baby back if for some reason they can not keep it. I was still not even sure I wanted to breed her for just this reason- but then she decided for me :p

You have the right to force the forum but what I would do is just make sure there husbandry is correct and supplements, if you did make them join the forum they probably wouldn't stay.

my hope is I choose the right people - you know- ones like us- lol the crazy chameleon type who live here on the forum ;)

Everything will be ok. Once you see how much joy the babies can bring somebody else, you will feel better. And that's a great idea telling them you will always take them back if they ever need to :)

So I'm going to be asking questions and they need to send me a picture of the setup before I send them a baby. That's how picky I'm going to be. ;) This is why I could never own a petstore. They're your babies and you can do whatever you want to determine who should get them!

I agree, I've bred a few reptiles and other exotic animals myself. I did it just for the fun though, not for making money out of it.
I could never run my hobby as a business, it would make it all wrong :D
I guess there are some very good petstores that do all of the things I have done to check people out, but it would be very hard work to add to the all the accounting hahaha

how could you not look out for these cute little guys :D
does that one not look like Olive or what , she is going to be as big a chunk as Olive ( just as crabby too :p ) and the little boys are getting their horns now :)

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 171
  • 061.jpg
    061.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 172
Back
Top Bottom