Do females lay eggs without a male?

DustinSloop

I am wanting to get a veiled chameleon and I have heard that females will either lay eggs or die. I only want one chameleon and don't want to breed them I just want one as a pet. Is this true, can someone please clear this up for me. Would I be best off getting a male?

females will lay eggs even without breeding...they do take a little more care, but all you have to do is set up a laying bin so they can dig and lay...use the search tab on the sites toolbar and you will find all the info you need

They can lay eggs without a male. When housed properly with a place to lay eggs females are just as enjoyable as males.

Do you plan on getting a female veild?

if you read the blog raising kitty you will see techniques on how to care for a female veiled. If fed properly and kept at the proper temps you can prevent the development of eggs, or at least keep the clutch sizes small and infrequent. ;)

Are the eggs she produces fertile even if she has never been around a male?
Do the females have to mate in order to live? I just want to raise one for its whole life with no mating.

I am not sure if I am getting a male or female, which do you think would be the best?
Thanks for the help.

The eggs will be infertile if the female isn't mated. Its an old wives tale that the female will die if not mated. If you provide proper husbandry for a female she should be fine producing infertile eggs. There are some things that can happen outside of improper husbandry that can cause eggbinding such as eggs being deformed/fused, deformities of the reproductive tract...and the number one cause...failing to provide an appropriate place for the female to lay the eggs and the privacy she needs when she is digging/laying them.

I also have no interest in either raising a constant egg laying female cham but is it possible to "fix" them ala spay or neuter like cats and dogs?

Our girl was x-rayed today and is full of eggs! She never had a mate and may need a c-section in a couple of days if she doesn't lay them. When/if she gets her operation, we will also be able to get her fixed.

Back
Top Bottom