do chameleons sneeze?

Electric...I would keep an eye on it and if it gets worse you may have to deal with it...but I'm betting its just him being annoyed.

evertech11 said..."Because they don't urinate they need a way to get rid of the excess salt"...they do produce urates....its that white part that comes out when they defecate.

Heika...I have to agree with you that there would be the danger of having a new "earring" if you tried to listen to a veiled like that! LOL!

Quite a few species of chameleons make buzzing vibrating "sounds"...
http://www.adcham.com/html/taxonomy/species/chcalyptratus.html
* B. decaryi (E. Edwards)
* B. thieli (E. Edwards; L. Horgan)
* C. dilepis (K. Barnett)
* C. Johnstoni (F. LeBerre)
* C. melleri (A. Banks)
* C. Oweni (F. LeBerre)
* C. senegalensis (K. Barnett)
* F. ousteleti (multiple ADCHAM list members)
* F. pardalis (multiple ADCHAM list members)
* R. brachyurus (J. Mease)
* R. brevicaudatus (J. Mease)
* R. kerstenii robecchii (E. Edwards; J. Mease)
* R. uluguruensis (J. Mease)

i know that they produce urates, i'm just saying that not all of the salt comes out in them. And they don't sweat so they have even more to get rid of.

here is an article about what is going on (http://www.anapsid.org/sneeze.html), there is NOTHING wrong with your animal.

You're ridiculous. You cannot surely dismiss the possibility of health issues from the data given. You cannot hear the sound. You do not know the chameleon. Do not dismiss what is just a possibility of a serious issue without conclusive evidence... It's not your chameleon to put at risk.

it says right on that page that if the animal has a resparatory that it will not sneeze.
Would you assume that i was sick if i were to sneeze if i had something in my nose?
It is also well known that veiled chameleons use vibrations to communicate. Touch a sleeping veiled on the back and you can hear exactly what everyone is talking about for yourself.
Not ruling out all possibilities is important when diagnosing animals, but in this case some have been eliminated, you are ignoring the documentation that I have provided you. I have attached a link to journal that explains the vibrations.

Attachments

• VIBE.jpg
    VIBE.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
well mines not a veiled but i'd like to read that anyway but it's too small lol.

and my cham is doing fine, haven't heard or seen him 'sneeze' in a while, by this time i'm thinking it was more of a thing where wind is tickling his nose or something

it says right on that page that if the animal has a resparatory that it will not sneeze.
Would you assume that i was sick if i were to sneeze if i had something in my nose?
Not ruling out all possibilities is important when diagnosing animals, but in this case some have been eliminated, you are ignoring the documentation that I have provided you.
Kevin, Sneezing may not be a usual sign, however, coughing and wheezing are, even followed by the described wobble... I don't feel it should be dismissed as easy as you seemed to, and care should be taken to further monitor the sound and for the owner to know how to differentiate them.

The thread poster never brought up the vibration subject and neither have I. No comment on that.

Electric, thats the most important thing, that everything is fine. How did you enjoy the Expo?

One thing that the others do not know that I know because I have personally seen the chameleons you've bought, is that they were kept in tiny cricket keepers, and what out climate has been like the past month. This also provides potential for URI. potential.

Last edited:
i always feel bad for the little chameleons at expos, trying to claw out of the deli cups, even if they're only in there for a few hours.

which expo? if you mean the little ray's zoo, I only went into the store part as the actual zoo cost 10$ to go see. But I've actually seen their show once cause they came to my house for my little brother's birthday party one year.

I'm confused about the second part, how have you seen the babies that mine is from? I thought they were sold to ray's as eggs but maybe he bought them already hatched.

I didn't mean the same exact babies that they have at Rays, just when I'm at an expo they always have the little ones in deli cups.

this is really interesting. I have heard 2 of my chameleons make the little huff of annoyance/sneeze thing and I have also felt the vibrating thing that people are talking about. It was great to hear that recording of it WOW! I can imagin that the vibrations would carry a long way along a branch. Amazing stuff!

Yes, whatever came of this? I hope it was not anything serious, just a quirk.

Very interesting.. I too would have just assumed it was a ticked off response..

He may be doing a little "i am pissed off" hiss that they do. Mine seemed to do it more so at this age and my veileds still do it, although my panthers do not.

That's sounds just like Gizmo's "I'm pissed off" hiss. :D

I would not worry about this. Cham's with URI's (Upper Respritory Illness) make a noise more similar to a "pop" than a hiss, accompanied with gaping and mucus.

yes the huff or the sneeze/snort is always just a little dry puff of air from the nose....different to the opened mouth stay away from me hiss but I have never assoiated it with illness of any kind.

my baby chameleon is about 3-4 months old
he makes this weird sound like a cat..?
it sound like a tiny meow sound...
its very odd.
but, my older veild hisses
but she opens her mouth and its very loud and noticeable.
so i don think your chameleon is hissing

Back
Top Bottom