Do chameleons really sometimes not chew their food?

Pearl Fields

Avid Member
This is kind of dumb but I was thinking about how sometimes we will "pin" bsfl to be sure they are digested if the chameleon does not chew them up. I was just wondering if anyone has actually had a chameleon that does not chew it's food well? I just cannot imagine that really happening, like it seems like they'd instinctively chew up their food or something (plus mine has never not chewed his bugs up, that I have seen). Sorry, this is a very dumb question

This is kind of dumb but I was thinking about how sometimes we will "pin" bsfl to be sure they are digested if the chameleon does not chew them up. I was just wondering if anyone has actually had a chameleon that does not chew it's food well? I just cannot imagine that really happening, like it seems like they'd instinctively chew up their food or something (plus mine has never not chewed his bugs up, that I have seen). Sorry, this is a very dumb question
Not a dumb question at all. 🙂

I actually didn't know bugs could come out still moving until I got on this website lol. Some chameleons chew better than others I suppose. I think it also depends on the size of the bug and how tough they are. Bsfl are known to be a little hard to chew so they tend to come out still wiggling.

I've seen it with mine, i was shocked 🤣, the bsfl was legit alive and moving 😶

Its the zero calorie snack.

Hmm makes me wonder if just pinning them does anything. yes its now dead, but is it digested just because its dead? Do we have to cut them in half or butterfly them or something?

My girl Clarice is a glutton. Sometimes she gets so excited to eat that she doesnt even chew before swallowing and moving to the next bug. She vomited one time (which was terrifying to watch) - and it was because she swallowed a live dubia whole! It must have been moving around as she puked it back up and it ran off before I could find it 🥴

Hyde likes to hang out with her food half in mouth like a cat proudly displaying it's catch. At least in this picture she has most of it 🤣

Attachments

• received_141399237849469.jpeg
    received_141399237849469.jpeg
    329.3 KB · Views: 89
My chams are such enthusiatic eaters that I don’t even get their enclosure door closed before they’ve already finished their meals. My slower eater likes to hold his bug in his mouth for some time before chewing & swallowing. I guess he’s savoring the juices. 🤢
That sounds exactly like my previous two! One would gobble the buggies up ASAP and the other would hold them in his mouth for around 5 minutes before he started chewing! :ROFLMAO:

I'm so relieved and also distressed to hear that other people have had BSFL come out the other end wriggling. I had this happen last week and just about screamed, because I wasn't expecting it. I noticed a large poop on one of the monstera leaves and went to get it with a paper towel only to have it dance.

Back
Top Bottom