Do Chameleons have the ability to show affection to their owners?

Dont forget our Eastern grey carnivorous Roos from Gippsland, Biggest in the world!
Here a large male delivers deadly cycto-toxin from spurs on its wrist after which it will hop a way a short distance and wait for its prey to stop moving, before moving in to feast with razor sharp teeth.
They feed in packs of up to 25, devouring sheep and even cattle till nothing remains!
Its recommend when bushwalking in Vic ,NOT to attempt to feed them bread!

kangaroo.jpg

:D

Wow, is it April already??

I wonder how the flying Hasselblad fared? Besides some pain, looks like the photog could be out a big hunk of change, too.

Chameleon bonding

I think Chameleons bond or show "affection" in their own l reptile-lizard way, just like a dog or cat shows their affection in their own mammal way. None of it will ever be like a human to human, and why would you want that? My Veiled Cham , Charlie is affectionate enough for me when he sees me for me to let him out to sit up in his tree when I get home from work, or falls asleep on me while I'm watching TV, or hangs on me when I take the dog out for a walk. If you develop a type connection and communication with your animal friends, if you pay attention to them, affection toward you in their own way exists.

There is something happening - some kind of understanding between my Cham and I and I am not sure what it means to him, but there is something there. As in a tolerance and approval of my presence as opposed to him being offended at the sight of me at the start and running for cover when I would approach. He now climbs on me (sometimes) when I open his door and rest on my shoulder near my face. Stands on his branch with a soft eye as I gently touch him, as opposed to threatening, puffing, gaping or running away.

there is so much they don't understand about the human brain - could it be the same for the reptilian brain?

I would say there is a mutual respect and understanding he and I have....I have force fed to keep him alive and found him a 4 foot reptibreeze after living in a 24" high glass enclosure all his life. He is happy. I represent change and safety and a full belly. Some things I did to him to help him were unpleasant but he always felt better in the end and he now relates that to me.

If your cham is not receptive of you, think about what you are doing wrong as they can show much more than the "feed me now **** off" attitude that some of you are getting. They may not love you like a dog but you CAN be more than just the food guy if you are patient and open.

Yes, he is puffed up in the images but it was the camera that he hates and was suspicious of, normally he is in his normal state when we are having a nice "moment".

My avatar is him when I saved him 6 months ago (june 2014)

Attachments

• friends forever.jpg
    friends forever.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 271
  • forestfinger dec 2014.jpg
    forestfinger dec 2014.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 296
There is something happening - some kind of understanding between my Cham and I and I am not sure what it means to him, but there is something there. As in a tolerance and approval of my presence as opposed to him being offended at the sight of me at the start and running for cover when I would approach. He now climbs on me (sometimes) when I open his door and rest on my shoulder near my face. Stands on his branch with a soft eye as I gently touch him, as opposed to threatening, puffing, gaping or running away.

there is so much they don't understand about the human brain - could it be the same for the reptilian brain?

I would say there is a mutual respect and understanding he and I have....I have force fed to keep him alive and found him a 4 foot reptibreeze after living in a 24" high glass enclosure all his life. He is happy. I represent change and safety and a full belly. Some things I did to him to help him were unpleasant but he always felt better in the end and he now relates that to me.

If your cham is not receptive of you, think about what you are doing wrong as they can show much more than the "feed me now **** off" attitude that some of you are getting. They may not love you like a dog but you CAN be more than just the food guy if you are patient and open.

Yes, he is puffed up in the images but it was the camera that he hates and was suspicious of, normally he is in his normal state when we are having a nice "moment".

Chams vary in how tolerant or trusting they choose to become. In a very stable long term situation they certainly can learn that you are just a mobile part of their environment and not a threat. It's not "affection", but it is a mellowing out of their general caution and suspicion of the world around them. Some very territorial chams will never like intrusions but others don't seem to mind as much. I'm sure age and health have a lot to do with it.

Did you read through this whole thread? I think you will find your answer.

Look to the biology of the species.

Are Veiled chameleons a social species? They are not. They come together only to breed for a very short period of time.

Do they raise and nurture their young? Again, no. They lay eggs and off they go about their life. If they come across one of their babies, I am sure they eat it.

There is nothing in the natural behavior of the species that indicates any social relationship other than breeding.

Why would you think a chameleon that does not interact in a social way with others of its species have a special relationship with you?

Technically no predator should show affection to prey animals yet we love horses, cats (my favorite predator) have bonded with birds, guinea pigs, or ducks.

I'm not saying reptiles "love" or "like" their owners, but "comfortable with" is a type of relationship that shouldn't be dismissed. They understand that you are not a tree because you have two eyes and two legs and are a threat. If they get over that you are a threat, realize in their instinctive way you are not food competition, then in a sense you are a "companion" that they can live with.

Back
Top Bottom