Do chameleons get bored?

Bmjo

Established Member
i was thinking. Wouldn’t it be a pretty boring life sitting in a cage all the time? But what types of things could chameleons do? It’s kind of a weird thing but i actually wonder lol

I have wondered the same thing. It's not like they play or anything . . . Nor do they particularly enjoy humans, for the most part . . . But I really don't know. My cham seems to enjoy basking and eating the nearest leaf, but I don't know about being bored. I don't know if they have the mental capacity to get bored. Their lives are mostly ruled by instinct, I think. That's my two cents.

i was thinking. Wouldn’t it be a pretty boring life sitting in a cage all the time? But what types of things could chameleons do? It’s kind of a weird thing but i actually wonder lol
I mean....that's a good question personally with my cham I take him out of his cage to bask under the sun in my backyard and he usually displayed very beautiful green colors. To me he seems relaxed and is very active in the plants. I do this like 3-4 times a week so hes active. Other than that in the wild they are slow moving animals that stay still for survival. Being hidden is where they feel safest therefore....happy?

I'm no vet/doctor/biologist/etc. but wouldn't boredom mainly occur on animals with larger braincapacity and possibly only in those that need a trigger to encourage social interactions like play or a will to please?

I think looking around all day and hunting keeps their mind occupied enough.

I'm always wondering this question unfortunately we cannot tell. I do know when they are not bored you just have to give them some crickets:ROFLMAO::p

I would like to take him outside but he hisses and tries to bite me so i leave him be

I would not think so. They are well designed for hiding from prey and predators. However I like to keep good interactions with them. I have open perches both outdoors and indoors. I think it helps with handling too since they spend a lot of time with you without over handling.

Mine gets bored with the same food over and over again.:)
Seriously if you were an ambush predator that waited most of the day for something appetizing to come by you would have to have the disposition to deal with that. Other than the occasional patrol of your territory for rivals and potential mates it's a pretty low key kind of life.

Throw in a rubix cube and give him 25 minutes he should be really entertained

Back
Top Bottom