Do Chameleons Drink Standing Water

SorSor24

I have seen too many conflicting answers on Reddit and all over the internet. I want everyone's answers, does your chameleon drink still water and if so do they drink it out of a glass?

I have seen too many conflicting answers on Reddit and all over the internet. I want everyone's answers, does your chameleon drink still water and if so do they drink it out of a glass?
I have never experimented to see if my little dude would drink out of a glass of water, nor do I care to. I would never want him to become as sophisticated and civilized as myself. Seems like the beginning of a chameleon uprising. What's next? Chameleons wielding tiny guns??? I think not!

They will drink standing water that has been deposited on plant leaves by morning dew. So it would stand to reason that they can recognize standing water as something drinkable. But presentation does matter and I doubt that they would recognize standing water in a glass as drinkable as it looks nothing like water on a leaf.

If I ever see my cham acting too much like a human, I will sell him off. I don't want a reptile version of Stuart Little. Plus, auto insurance would be costly for a car that small. Think of all the tiny moving parts? It would take no one short of a rocket scientist to repair it!

P.S--If it is April fools, I got you covered. If you are dead serious, then focus in on the second paragraph.

Edit--I see we are serious here, my b

I have never experimented to see if my little dude would drink out of a glass of water, nor do I care to. I would never want him to become as sophisticated and civilized as myself. Seems like the beginning of a chameleon uprising. What's next? Chameleons wielding tiny guns??? I think not!

They will drink standing water that has been deposited on plant leaves by morning dew. So it would stand to reason that they can recognize standing water as something drinkable. But presentation does matter and I doubt that they would recognize standing water in a glass as drinkable as it looks nothing like water on a leaf.

If I ever see my cham acting too much like a human, I will sell him off. I don't want a reptile version of Stuart Little. Plus, auto insurance would be costly for a car that small. Think of all the tiny moving parts? It would take no one short of a rocket scientist to repair it!

P.S--If it is April fools, I got you covered. If you are dead serious, then focus in on the second paragraph.

Edit--I see we are serious here, my b
God a reptile Stuart Little would be a handful, especially a chameleon they would just complain lol

My answer: I've only seen him drink still water droplets off of leaves. He never ventures below halfway down the enclosure.

Cham's answer: I grilled (questioned) him for over half an hour, but he ain't talkin'.

That's not what this guy says...
1617331103954.png

I’ve never visited the chameleon or any other sections of Reddit, nor do I really care to. I have heard some close to horror stories about the care suggestions offered around there. I’d question everything said there, which you are doing. Just mist your leaves and your chameleon will be a happy drinker.

Umm I think you might be too late. They already found the tiny guns...😦

Attachments

• 2A81FCA0-E55A-44AB-B733-417DA161EC0F.jpeg
    2A81FCA0-E55A-44AB-B733-417DA161EC0F.jpeg
    222.9 KB · Views: 80
Umm I think you might be too late. They already found the tiny guns...😦
You´ll be suprised and disgusted what people do with these poor creatures on Instagram, just for some likes. And killing one poor guy and directly buy a new and continue their crap, dressing them up with hats and.....never mind pisses me off.

Sorry back on topic.

@SorSor24 you´re building a great enclosure and got misting nozzles already installed, so this will be your drinking source. Misting just before the lights go on, in combination with lots of real plants (like you´re intending), gives them enough opportunity to drink.

You´ll be suprised and disgusted what people do with these poor creatures on Instagram, just for some likes. And killing one poor guy and directly buy a new and continue their crap, dressing them up with hats and.....never mind pisses me off.
Don’t worry this isn’t my chameleon I would never do that.
yeah I hate when people mistreat their amazing creatures just for a laugh or a like; makes me so sad.😞

Sorry back on topic.

@SorSor24 you´re building a great enclosure and got misting nozzles already installed, so this will be your drinking source. Misting just before the lights go on, in combination with lots of real plants (like you´re intending), gives them enough opportunity to drink.
Thank you it’s been a lot of work, I’m looking to get more live plants for the bottom and still trying to get it so the humidity is always perfect.

Definitely needs more foliage/plants.

Here are 3 lists from reputable sources:
https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/ (Also includes advice on how to arrange/set up)
https://www.madcham.de/en/pflanzen-fuers-terrarium/
https://www.chameleons.info/l/safe-and-unsafe-plants/
I am looking into getting a light to help the plants grow. Also planning on getting a bigger umbrella plant and switching that with the palm at the bottom and putting the palm where the current umbrella is. And also adding some more plants to fill up the bottom and some small pretty accent plants, if you have any good recommendations on specific plants you think would look good let me know!

I am looking into getting a light to help the plants grow. Also planning on getting a bigger umbrella plant and switching that with the palm at the bottom and putting the palm where the current umbrella is. And also adding some more plants to fill up the bottom and some small pretty accent plants, if you have any good recommendations on specific plants you think would look good let me know!
Here´s some plant inspiration on filling your enclosure https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/low-budget-enclosure-setup.2462/

Sounds good! What I think looks good (plants) shouldn't matter—all that matters is what you think. There are loads of possibilities on the lists I cited.

As for plant lights, I can recommend this one: https://www.sansiled.com/70w-led-grow-light-full-spectrum.html
It's got the umph to reach the lower regions of the enclosure.

Back
Top Bottom