Do Chameleons Dream?

andren32

Last night my veiled chameleon (3 months old) appeared to be dreaming. Around 11pm (lights were out and the room was completely dark) I heard something coming from his cage, I used my cell phone to light the cage, and noticed little Marvin expressing aggressive behavior. While Marvin's eyes were closed, he did not move around, but his skin was fluctuating in colors while his body started to puff up. He did not open his mouth or hiss. This behavior lasted for approximately 2 minutes; right before I accidentally hit the cage with my cell phone which rudely prompted Marvin to open his eyes.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences?

My brother's cham would change colors and act aggressive in his sleep but that's because there was a cricket bugging him...lol

If they do, it wouldnt be the kind of dreaming higher order mamals have.
The reptile brain lacks the amigydula and the entire limbic system, needed
for complex proceses, ie, memory and emotion.

If they do, it wouldnt be the kind of dreaming higher order mamals have.
The reptile brain lacks the amigydula and the entire limbic system, needed
for complex proceses, ie, memory and emotion.

not at all trying to disagree as I am sure you know wayyyyy more than I do :eek: but is "habit" the same as memory ? I am only asking to try to learn more...but I know my cham kinda seemed to know "what was coming" at feeding time, but she was ill, and had to be fed every 3 hrs- so she was in and out of her cage several times a day, and began to know when I was getting her things ready by the cage she would start to go to the door, like she knew I was getting her out -and if they can not remember, I see many who let theirs out to free range for a bit, and the cham takes itself back to "bed" in the cage at night- how do they go back to the cage if they can not remember anything? like I said, not at all trying to disagree- just find this interesting as I kinda also feel they do have some - or not- I do know they are very simple , but I also think some form bonds too- i just find every aspect of chams fascinating- even their little brains :D

not at all trying to disagree as I am sure you know wayyyyy more than I do :eek: but is "habit" the same as memory ? I am only asking to try to learn more...but I know my cham kinda seemed to know "what was coming" at feeding time, but she was ill, and had to be fed every 3 hrs- so she was in and out of her cage several times a day, and began to know when I was getting her things ready by the cage she would start to go to the door, like she knew I was getting her out -and if they can not remember, I see many who let theirs out to free range for a bit, and the cham takes itself back to "bed" in the cage at night- how do they go back to the cage if they can not remember anything? like I said, not at all trying to disagree- just find this interesting as I kinda also feel they do have some - or not- I do know they are very simple , but I also think some form bonds too- i just find every aspect of chams fascinating- even their little brains :D

No, it's not the same, memory is way differnt from trained response.
I free range all my guys and they have never found their way back to their cages at night, they simply crash where ever they are!! I have to collect them to take them home.

Also, what I was talking about is very complex brain process which would require advanced cortex and limbic system, it does not mean that the reptile brain is not capable of making associations with the brain structures it has.
It learns what it needs to for survival.

Even if you are right about a cham finding it's way back home at night, what would happen if you moved the cage, or even changed how it looked!!??

lol- I think he would get lost- :)
thanks for the info - I just love the forums - you just never know what you can learn :D

Thanks for all the Replies!

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this thread. Thanks for all the info and personal experiences!

Back
Top Bottom