Do chameleons 'chill out?'

CrazyCalvin

Hey everyone,

My chameleons growing fast now (just over 4 months old) and as he's getting bigger his habits/body language is changing. I havent had a chameleon before so just wanted to check that his recent behaviour is normal.

It may sound like quite a dim/thick question but do chameleons chill out?? I've noticed now that whilst he's sat under his basking lamp-instead of 'sitting' he'll lie right down on the brach, as in spread his body quite flat. Is this a good thing or does it mean he's scared?? Though i read somewhere that if they feel threatened they'll lower their body?

Maybe a daft question but jst wanted to clarify incase he isnt feeling too good

you need to get the basking temp up, should be around 90, he prob flattening himself out to try and catch more heat

May just be relaxed. My female does this on single vine perches but not on double twists, maybe its just to feel more secure?
Pics? :)

Its only 4 months old Hoj, 90 is a bit too high, 80 would be plenty. :)

May just be relaxed. My female does this on single vine perches but not on double twists, maybe its just to feel more secure?
Pics? :)

Its only 4 months old Hoj, 90 is a bit too high, 80 would be plenty. :)

sorry i just saw that, agreed all tho my guy has always been a heatseeker LoL, ever since the day he came home.

yes they will lay almost flat to absorb the heat but mostly with your basking temp being that low he is really trying to warm up. I have a 20watt and a50 watt in my cage along with the uvb light. The 20 watt is in a dome fixture just like the 50 and is really there to just brighten up that side of the cage. Most of the time he basks under the 50 but sometimes I will catch him trying to catch some heat under the 20 and he is almost laying down on the branch flat as a pancake! I am sure if you bump up your basking he will not have to lay so flat to absorb the heat.

Ahh, laterally flat, side toward the heat, this makes more sense. Normal. :)

If its been fine, I wouldnt raise it much, a few degrees perhaps. 80f

Urrm yep sorry meant laterally flat-as if he's flat to the ground haha! Jst wntd to check its normal and not coz he's stressed or anything :) thanks everyone :)

Back
Top Bottom