DIY Potting your Carnivorous pitcher plant

So I decided to make a DIY on planting your pitcher plant.
Genus Sarracenia

So far with only success I have kept my pitcher plant for 5 months now and it really does the job on catching gnats, flies, bees, pretty much any flying bug comes in to die.

There is a topic going around on repotting your soil to wash away the gnat eggs and such although this does work to an extent. But when you also combine the repotting and these carnivorous plants your bug probelms are solved :rolleyes:

Supplies

1. Perlite
2. Peat moss
3. water saucer needs more than two holes in the bottom for water to seep.
4. Pot for your plant obviously
5. A judith hindle or other genus

These plants require Nutrient free soil and provides drainage thus the perlite.
1 part perlite 1 part peat moss. Never use fertilizer or bought potting soil they will kill your plant with haste.

Alot of internet sites and experts say these plants cannot thrive indoors. I find this wrong and have had no problems.

They need a window to sit in (indoors) or they will die sunlight is key.

And water water water water these plants always need to be in a body of water or else it will die. Change your perlite and peat moss once a year to avoid mineral build up. Keep the water level no more than half way up the pot.

The perlite goes in first then you place your plants on top of the perlite then carefully place peat moss around them until it gets to the top of the potter make sure to cover all the roots they need to be submereged.

Attachments

• IMG_1472.jpg
    IMG_1472.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_1473.jpg
    IMG_1473.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1474.jpg
    IMG_1474.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_1476.jpg
    IMG_1476.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_1475.jpg
    IMG_1475.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 227
That is way cool. If I didn't live in Arizona and it wasn't getting to be summer time soon I'd get a ton.

i bought a hanging type, and it sits on my balcony and kills all mosuqitoes and all flying insects that touch it. they seem very hardy in that ive had it for a year w/ no problems.

Thank you so much VeiledChamGuy so much, this will solve alot of peoples problems with the annoying little buggies.

I currently have some carnivorous plants growing from seeds in my dining room. But it's frustrating how slow growing they are!

Did you mention using distilled water to water them? I have read that using anything but distilled water actually has too many vitamins/minerals/whatever and isn't enough like the poor soil conditions they've adapted for.
:]

That is way cool. If I didn't live in Arizona and it wasn't getting to be summer time soon I'd get a ton.

You live in the perfect enviro for them to thrive in!! You could grow them outside full grown within a month (outside) and rotate from inside to outside.
I would reccomend one, give it a stab in the dark :rolleyes:

I currently have some carnivorous plants growing from seeds in my dining room. But it's frustrating how slow growing they are!

Did you mention using distilled water to water them? I have read that using anything but distilled water actually has too many vitamins/minerals/whatever and isn't enough like the poor soil conditions they've adapted for.
:]

Yes I have read that also. I just use our tap water not distilled and to replace the soil and perlite once a year takes care of most mineral build ups :)

Mine turned brown.:(

Did you happen to touch the hindles? the flaps that close over the tube?
if so it kinda teases them into closing and therefore they close with nothing to digest. If that happens cut the brown off to the green.

as you can see in my picture above some have been cut clean off :p

I dunno.. WE got a venus fly trap..is that the same principle? THey just turned brown and fell apart.. Im a bad plant mommy! Whaaaaaaaa

I live in a small apartment that has been full of those pesky gnats lately. A carnivorous plant sounds like the perfect solution to the problem. Yesterday I did some research online for Venus Flytraps and I know that they require copious amounts of sunlight. My apartment doesn't really get any sunlight at all, except for a bit of indirect sunlight from my living room window. Tonight I am replacing my chameleon's 5.0 ReptiSun for a brand new one. I read somewhere that old UVB bulbs make wonderful plant grow lights. Can I use the old bulb to replace natural sunlight for a Venus Flytrap?

I live in a small apartment that has been full of those pesky gnats lately. A carnivorous plant sounds like the perfect solution to the problem. Yesterday I did some research online for Venus Flytraps and I know that they require copious amounts of sunlight. My apartment doesn't really get any sunlight at all, except for a bit of indirect sunlight from my living room window. Tonight I am replacing my chameleon's 5.0 ReptiSun for a brand new one. I read somewhere that old UVB bulbs make wonderful plant grow lights. Can I use the old bulb to replace natural sunlight for a Venus Flytrap?

IMO i wouldnt get a venus flytrap as you said they require copious amounts of sun. Get yourself a nice pitcher plant

http://www.houstonherp.com/SaleSxJudithHindle.htm

On sale there too..

As to using a used reptisun 5.0 for natural sun i would not count on that at all. A window seal would suffice more.

IMO i wouldnt get a venus flytrap as you said they require copious amounts of sun. Get yourself a nice pitcher plant

http://www.houstonherp.com/SaleSxJudithHindle.htm

On sale there too..

As to using a used reptisun 5.0 for natural sun i would not count on that at all. A window seal would suffice more.

Flytraps die indoors. They only live in a small area on the border between coastal NC and SC, and they require winter. Keep them indoors all year and they'll die. Their moisture is the key - hard to get things just right. It's moist, but not a swamp. If you have a sunny flower garden outside, and keep it irrigated, you can grow them just fine. They're all over the place near Wilmington.

In your pot, that is just peat moss? it looks like some sort of potting soil mixed in, too. might need to get one fo these plants

Back
Top Bottom