DIY Misting Systems

sageghost

Established Member
I've seen many of the retail misting systems out there. Has anyone created their own automated Misting System and would like to share what you did and how you did it?

Thats Awesome and much appreciated! I look forward to seeing them. From what I saw on your setup thread, incredible.

My home made system.

I had to take some updated pictures. All of the ones I had were not very accurate.

This is the system as it stands 2 minutes ago.
IMG_6973RS.jpg

The tank. You can see the misting valves on the top right. The water to the pump comes from the bottom right. I can drain the tank at the bottom left. That is a breather on the top left.
IMG_6968RS.jpg

The misting jets. You can see the water comes from the right hose, then back to the valve on the tank on the left hose.
IMG_6970RS.jpg

Here is a labeled picture of the main part of the system.
IMG_6969RSlabel2.jpg

The system is controlled via X10 Home controls. It all runs on its own. The system has a whole sequence of operations. It will filter water for 2 minutes filling all the hoses with water and forcing out all the air. Then the valves close off the flow back to the tank and the jets begin misting the cages. The pump will only run when the accumulator is empty and/or the valves are open. Once the misting is over the pump shuts off and the valves open so the water can drain back to the tank.

This setup is a little overkill for what I use it for. I will never be short on water when I expand.:D

As far as how often I refill my tank and drain the bucket that catches all of the run off. I refill the tank maybe every 12-14 days? I have never really kept track. When I see the tank is low I tilt it for the day and then at night ill refill the tank. The catch bucket is changed out maybe every 7-9 days.

See what happens when you cant wait to see a post? You find yourself waking up at 4am and logging on.

WOW! Your system is Impressive. Im still in awe despite seeing shots of it on your setup thread.

that is impressive i prefer the simpler approach for out doors

in the plumbing section of the home improvement store, you can easily work your way down from a garden hose (5/8 inch) to 1/4 inch microtubing using transitional pieces.

at the end you split it 3 ways and use a pack of 360 degree misting heads located in the micro irrigation section

i also like to use an egg hose timer so i can click it on for 15 and it will shut off by itself :)

good luck

its really easy and you can probably find a lot of quick connect fittings if not in the store, than online

that is impressive i prefer the simpler approach for out doors

in the plumbing section of the home improvement store, you can easily work your way down from a garden hose (5/8 inch) to 1/4 inch microtubing using transitional pieces.

at the end you split it 3 ways and use a pack of 360 degree misting heads located in the micro irrigation section

i also like to use an egg hose timer so i can click it on for 15 and it will shut off by itself :)

good luck

its really easy and you can probably find a lot of quick connect fittings if not in the store, than online

I was thinking of going this route for an outside setup. I don't have cages for outside and since the crows have been hanging out on my patio I don't plan on letting them free range anymore. I know they won't run off from the tree but I don't like the idea of a crow flying off with one of my chameleons.:eek::eek:

Thats a neat idea. I may just have to try it out when I bring a few of my chams outside for the nice Michigan sun!

yea and you'd be surprised how much of the work you can get the plumbing guy at home depot to do for you. just act like you are really dumb, but also put the pieces together when you leave cuz some of those guys are not so smart.

predatory birds have also been a concern of mine since i saw a jackson's get swooped by an owl in the daylight

!!!!!!!!

which brings me to my next project idea, I want to have a huge 5 by 5 by 9(ish) walk in cage elevated off the ground on wheels with a sturdy platform stage that can hold like 1000lbs of plants

that's way nice (and I agree - overkill!). However, overkill can be fun when it comes to hobbies, I know...

I made a simpler one a few years back. 5 gallon bucket, diaphram pump, $20 timer form Lowes, and some tubine and nozzles from the internet.

It works, well, but I can't use it until I get a better drainage system set up. I am keeping them in a section of th ebasement that has had moisture problems in th epast, so I have to move them somewhere befor eI can increase the humidity much.

If you have some plumbing skills (and your animals are located near a water supply), you can save on money by bypassing the pump. Just hook a garden timer to the water line, and hook that to the misting nozzles. household water pressure is usually perfect for a misting nozzle.

You must make sure you have a good, 100% reliable drainage system with an outlet. Shoudl the timer fail, the water will not stop spraying, since you're connected to the waterline.

check out the chameleon ezine (www.chameleonnews.com) There's a melleri free roam setup with lots of misting system info.

Back
Top Bottom