DIY lightweight enclosure tree

happy

So, like most of the members here, Im building an enclosure. the requirements for this enclosure;
1) it must function.
2) must look good.
3) must be very integrated.

for interior, i am always looking for crazy.... but functionally crazy...
i know its probably not new... but i have reinvented the wheel.... ok, so maybe not... but.. so, i have built a cage accessory that i feel is... top notch.... I got the idea while looking for a "fake tree" and just happened across a taxidermist website... building a, you guessed it, fake tree.

materials used:
1) 8" sono tube x1
2) 3x spray foam x 2
3) black silicone caulk x 7
4) eco earth brick(expanded) x1
5) terarium moss(shreded) a few handfulls
total cost = $45-65 ish and a few hours time.

so i took the sono tube, cut in half(length wise) with a razor knife(its cardboard), and picked the side i wanted for my tree. you could leave it full, and put a block of wood about 10 inches down from the top, and put a 2'x2' plywood base on it, put a potted plant in it...
i cut the extra side up for " live plant holders" and siliconed them to the main "trunk". layed it down on cardboard, sprayed every thing with 3x foam. when it was the size and shapes i wanted, i spritsed with water(thanks for the headsup from a member). I waited for it to cure for about 5-6 days... just wanted to be sure. i covered my work area with a very large piece of cardboard... silicone is very messy. I started at the bottom of the trunk, squirting caulk all over the trunk... i filled all the holes, and pressed it in with a foam "paint brush" i filled the plant holders so i could smear it all round and try to waterproof the plant holders... i tried to work a single tube of caulk at a time, but sometimes, i needed to work 2 tubes... i tried to press the caulk into every nook and crannie... making sure i did not see any white. a handful at a time, i dropped the eco earth onto the caulk... until it was mounded up on the caulk. i pressed it into the caulk. i also mixed some stringy shreaded moss into about half of the eco earth, and pressed those in in strategic locations on the trunk.

any ways, the album is https://www.chameleonforums.com/members/happy-albums-diy-light-weight-tree.html

please let me know what you think.....

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW this is awesome I'm going to have to give this a shot now i just have one question how did you waterproof the back with silicone?

yes, i used a whole tube of silicone on the back... ive more images yet to be added... ill add those when i can hook phone to computer...

still a work in progress... but
full

im ordering a pitcher plant to go into the top "pot".... i know its missing some thing... im just not sure what..... the pot on the left side, with the umbrella, will be sunk into the floor.
as a side benefit, you can "poke" branches into the tree, and if needed, can refill them later with either foam or caulk and cover with "eco earth" or moss.

there are a few more images in the album https://www.chameleonforums.com/membe...ight-tree.html
this enclosure is still a work in progress...
as a side note, i cannot make screens for nuthing... lol...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom