DIY hatching eggs?

So I don't think it has anything to do with age. We have a few members that are younger. One of whom I have asked questions of and she is just so knowledgeable. I am not sure how old you are but if you do your research and really learn everything you can you are going to have a much better experience this go round. However I think it is important to have the support of your family. Also depending on your age... If your going to be going to college in the next few years then would a chameleon at this time be a good idea. You have to weigh out all aspects. I know your really wanting another one. Just make sure the time is right and that you can provide everything needed. I highly recommend you start listening to the chameleon breeder podcast. There are over 90 episodes with sooooo much amazing info. If you decide to move forward then go into it with the knowledge and thoughtfulness that will make your keeping another one a fantastic experience. And don't cheep out on buying the new one. Save your money and when the time is right then you will find the one that your supposed to have. :)

My two cents as a mom. :)

Ok just had a conversation with my mother and have officially decided to not own a chameleon at this moment. I was trying to negotiate maybe actually contacting a breeder this time and not just going to a chain pet store and her exact words were “I love you but it’s just a freaking lizard it doesn’t matter” at this point I’m not even going to try. I will most likely get one when I am an adult or something like that but clearly this time isn’t the best for me to introduce another chameleon to this home. I really do thank you all for your help but at this point I’m just done. I’ll probably sell most (if not all) of my current equipment. Again thank you all for your help.

Don't be discouraged young man. I remember when I was your age and I wanted my first chameleon too. Mom said no and I'm glad she did. I wasn't ready. And just by you saying that and understanding that shows great progress. Who knows maybe you'll be like me and 17yrs later you'll finally get that Chameleon mom said you couldn't have... I encourage you to continue to research and learn and grow and keep looking. You never know what may pop up on here

Ok just had a conversation with my mother and have officially decided to not own a chameleon at this moment. I was trying to negotiate maybe actually contacting a breeder this time and not just going to a chain pet store and her exact words were “I love you but it’s just a freaking lizard it doesn’t matter” at this point I’m not even going to try. I will most likely get one when I am an adult or something like that but clearly this time isn’t the best for me to introduce another chameleon to this home. I really do thank you all for your help but at this point I’m just done. I’ll probably sell most (if not all) of my current equipment. Again thank you all for your help.
We all understand the love for these amazing creatures. Without the full support of the bank of mum & dad, without sound finances in place, its not a great idea.

Your mum's reaction is key here. If your parents just don't get it, you are left to look after and provide for an expensive animal.

Not saying it couldn't ever be done but you need a job of sorts to fund it and as already mentioned, if you go away to college, who's looking after the animal.

My daughter wants to do zoology at uni but the only animals I've let her have are ones I'm happy to look after as well. Likewise, when I'm on silly shifts, she's looking after my animals. Without a bit of teamwork, we couldn't give them the best possible care and attention.

I applaud your decision, especially knowing how much you would like another cham and wish you all the best.

Keep learning and eventually it will be the right time and you will have the knowledge to have the perfect set up and money to buy whatever Cham you want. If your anything like my daughter you will be discouraged because it is hard being young and having to go by what others want for you but in the long run you will be thankful for it. Having support is soooo important. I do everything for Beman on my own. My family is willing to help if I have to travel for work but that is it. And it is truly a lot of work just the feeders a lone I spend a good 30-45 minutes each day cleaning and feeding. Then I spend another 30 spot cleaning Beman's cage and hand feeding him and on the weekends I clean everything which takes me about 2-3 hours. I am lucky in the fact that I work from home so I am able to make my own schedule to cater to Beman. It may seem like it is going to take you forever but before you know it you will be an adult and able to do as you wish. Trust me time really does move quickly. Keep learning hun and never give up on your goals and dreams!

With respect, chams and their care are expensive. If anyone is not in a position to afford the animal, then it's doubtful they can afford a vet trip if its ever needed.

Can't afford the vet, shouldn't have the pet.

Good point. In fact, the chameleon will likely be the least expensive part of the entire endeavor...

Back
Top Bottom