DIY enclosure/free range progress

image.jpg

I have begun putting on the moulding. It is time consuming, because I only have so many clamps and it needs so long to dry. The egg crate and Pvc you see is the support for what will be a fake rock form in the corner made out of Great Stuff foam and Quikrete.

I'm sorry it's taking me so long to add updates. The spring semester is coming to a close so it's kind of getting chaotic for me. Since the last update I changed moulding because I didn't like the way the other was turning out. I instead used 1x2 boards for the outsides of the opening and 1x4 boards for the top and bottom. You can see a small cutout in the moulding on the bottom right corner of the opening if you look close. This will be on all four corners so that the three screened sections can slide in and out. I also added the wheels on the bottom. Next I will be painting the moulding white and begin working on the foam/Quikrete wall over the egg crate.

image.jpg

Thanks Jann! He's doing good! He's in an enclosure that's only 30" tall though, so he's gonna be happy when I let him loose in this enclosure. I let him out of his cage when I can, but he just needs a larger one.

Ok, I've gotten a little more done. I've begun to paint the moulding white and I sprayed the great stuff for my rock wall and tree. In the picture the rock wall is on the right and the tree is on the left. I know it doesn't look like much right now, but it'll look much better after I carve them out and paint them.
image.jpg

I've made a little progress. Applying the Quikrete takes time. Gotta mix, then apply, then let it harden enough to add detail. I've pretty much finished the top half of the rock structure. I'll finish the bottom and work on the tree after. I wanted to finish the rock first because I'm going to make roots come from the tree and make them look as if they are growing over part of the rock. Here's a picture of the progress. You can at least get an idea what it'll look like.
image.jpg

Just a little update. I've finished shaping the rock and painting two layers of a darker brown. I've also added some highlights on the parts of the rock that sticks out the most. I sanded down the tree trunk quite a bit and began forming the frame of the roots. I'm adding a few more roots and sticking them together with Great Stuff foam. I will then use a sanding bit to shape them to look more natural. I am waiting to paint the tree before I decide if I should go lighter on the rock. It looks darker in the picture than it does in real life and I actually like the dark brown with highlights. I'll just have to wait and see how it looks next to the tree before I decide. For now here's a picture after I finished shaping the rock wall and after I painted it and started on the roots.

image.jpg

Here's a picture after I added all of the roots, combined all of the pieces with great stuff and sanded/carved everything. Notice how the roots are tall and skinny instead of wide. This is because buttress roots in the rainforest are shaped like this. Next I will be painting it with a product called Drylok masonry waterproofer.

image.jpg

Now I have painted and shaded the tree using dry brushing. I am now applying moss that I found at the local hobby lobby using brown and clear silicone. I still have to add more on the tree and rock structure to mimick how it does in nature. After I will apply a sealer onto the moss to keep pieces from tearing away for the safety of the cham.

image.jpg

Ok everyone, here is the final product...finally! Lol. It is currently set up for free range where he can get out if he wants. I made the vines from rope and coconut fiber from the pet store. I used three different sized ropes to give it a more natural look. I also finished painting everything white on the outside. I added a bit more moss and sprayed it with a clear sealer. It is very difficult to come apart and will be safe for my cham. All I really have to do now is add the screen panels, set up my mistking, and of course add my little guy. Will post pictures when I do.

image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom