DIY Cricket Keeper

Ellron

Established Member
With my recent upgrade to 4-week cricket, my little ol' cricket keeper just wasn't big enough to house more than 50.
So I took action!
Materials Needed:
2' of 1'' SCH 40 PVC Pipe
2 1'' SCH 40 PVC Slip Covers
Plastic Container
Dremel or other Rotary Tool
Dremel Drill Bit
Dremel Sanding Bit
PVC Cutters
OPTIONAL:
Steel Wool Attachment for the Dremel, or loose steel wool, or a steal wool bottle brush (Do they make those?), or a regular bottle brush

--------------------------
Process:
Cut your PVC Pipe to desired length with the PVC Cutter.
Take the pipe and mark the outside width with a sharpie on your plastic container
Use the Dremel Drill Bit to cut a hole large enough to fit the Sanding/Grinding wheel attachment into the hole.
Grind/Sand away all plastic until desired width is met so that you can fit the tubes in diagonally.
Place slip covers on the ends of the cut PVC tubes and insert them into the holes
Once they fit correctly, they should look like this:

That picture the tubes are a bit high, you can just hit them to lower them down.

Using the Dremel Drill Bit drill lots of air holes.
I drilled about 20 in the lid, and another 20 around the upper edge.
I just don't want any crickets dying from oxygen deprivation.

Here some pictures of the finished product.
If I make another one, I will make a picture by picture tutorial.

I will continue to edit this with any tips or tricks.
ADDED TIP:
If you are using the steel wool, this is going to be used for roughening up the inside of the tube so younger crickets can grip it and crawl up into it.
It is pretty self explanatory how to use it. After you've cut everything, you can roughen it with the steel wool. Just rub it inside the pipe. I think even a regular bottle brush would suffice in making small scratches.

This is the finished product:

This is the plethora of airholes in the lid

Thanks for reading,
Elliot

What are the tubes for? Looks pretty cool and I bet there is good air flow.

Are the tubes for picking up crickets that make their way to the bottom of the cham cage? I need to fix that issue for me, I'm getting tired of chasing them with note cards or trying to put them in a corner so I can pick them up.

What you guys use to grab loose crickets in the cage?

The crix crawl up into the tubes, and then you can just grab the tubes out and shake them in the cage to get the crix out.
I cup feed, so I don't have a problem with the crix getting into the corners.
I used to free range, and they did go in the corners, cup feeding is so much easier.
I do free range from time to time now, but the 4-week crickets can't hide in the corners and usually crawl up to their demise.

So far the airflow has been good. I'm debating adding more airholes with my next batch of crickets.

I think the airflow is great now.
They're two really tiny holes at the bottom to increase the cross ventilation.

Cool, I like that tube idea maybe I'll try to implement it into my keeper.

I am split about cup feeding, I like how easy the crickets are to deal with but I really like the fact that my cham has something to keep him occupied throughout the day and hes such a good hunter too I really hate to take it away from him. I do love when those crickets get on the cage and just head up to their quick demise as you so perfectly said. lol

maybe I could build a "ramp" around my substrate tray to give them a nice walkway up to the caging and will most likely climb up to their dooms. Like take some scrap wood and angle them in there then I might not have to worry about clean up as I bet they would mostly walk straight up if they got their claws in the caging.

Looks good. I might actually make something like this for my crickets. Thanks for providing the instructions on how to make it.

You can cup feed some, and free range some more. Just free range less.
You can free range worms too, they don't move that much, but the chams like lookin' around for em

Just a tip for next time, if you can get a hold of a wood burner or something similar that heats up the tip, it would be a bit easier to make the holes.

Just a tip for next time, if you can get a hold of a wood burner or something similar that heats up the tip, it would be a bit easier to make the holes.

I tried that! :p
I used a tiny blowtorch I had, but it didn't seem to make a difference so I abandoned the idea.
I didn't have too much trouble piercing the thin plastic.

I tried that! :p
I used a tiny blowtorch I had, but it didn't seem to make a difference so I abandoned the idea.
I didn't have too much trouble piercing the thin plastic.
Blowtorch. :eek: That sounds dangerous. Just buy a cheap woodburner next time! You won't regret it. :D Especially with a future DIY project with thicker plastic hehe.

Blowtorch. :eek: That sounds dangerous. Just buy a cheap woodburner next time! You won't regret it. :D Especially with a future DIY project with thicker plastic hehe.

Lol.
I have a blowtorch attachment on the micro torch that is like a little hair dryer, except it blows out realllly hot air.
I'll try that next time.

Kids,
Don't try this one at home.

We do this in controlled areas under the supervision of highly trained professionals.:p

i just bought a funarium about a bit bigger than that container, stuck my cricket keeper tubes inside on about the same angle without any holes and bam. spent about 15 but its better than 40 for the actual " Large cricket keeper"
100_5338.jpg

i just bought a funarium about a bit bigger than that container, stuck my cricket keeper tubes inside on about the same angle without any holes and bam. spent about 15 but its better than 40 for the actual " Large cricket keeper"

Can you extrapolate a bit more on that and explain?

Back
Top Bottom