DIY ChamMansion! (for under $100 bucks!)

KarmaChams

Hey Everyone,

This is my first post - I thought I'd share some plans and pics for you DIYers. I found this to be the most efficient and cleanable setup. It can all be torn down and set back up in a matter of a day. I'll add more details if it helps!

What you'll need:

(Hardware)
Zip ties
Plastic PVC tubes
Various PVC Connectors
Mesh/fencing suitable for your species.
Lights, fake plants, natural-fiber rope, etc etc - This is a work of art!!
Large Rubbermaid - This will be the base of your enclosure.
Small door hinges and screws

(Tools)
A saw
Power Drill (for attaching door hinges)
Tape measure
Scissors or snips

Zip ties - enough that you won't have to go out and buy more again. I would go with black, as they are more resistant to cracking and drying under UV rays. But for this enclosure I had clear available. 200 = about $14

Plastic PVC tubing - For this model, I used approx 46.7 ft of 3/4 in. pvc - and it (the cage) is ridiculously large. You can definitely scale it down a bit and save a few $$$ 50 ft 3/4 pvc = $10

Various PVC connectors - 4 " 3-way corners", 4 "T" connectors, and 4 90degree slip elbows (for the door). Some stores only carry 3-way corners with one of three sides slightly smaller. 4 small adapter pieces are then needed. Lets say $20 for these

Mesh/fencing - For this model we used Yardgard 40in X 25 ft Garden fence. We used the whole roll, and part of another. Again with a little better planning, we could have used just one roll. Yardgard plastic fence - $11 EACH
* Yardgard has very large holes. I made this for a pair of Verrucosus, and they are not yet full size. They can just barely slip sideways in and out of the 1 x 3/4 in slots. It hasn't been much of an issue, as they have been happy to stay in or on they're enclosure.

Large Rubbermaid - This will form the base of your enclosure. If you want a tall, slim enclosure - a smaller more square one might be best. Build your PVC frame so that is fits slightly inside your Rubbermaid, and cleaning will be EZbreezy. Rubbermaid - $10 - $16

Hinges - $5

If anyone happens to reply and wants the exact specs on the one I built I can put those up. However, it is much easier (and cheaper) to plan it out with what you have. If you're lucky you may have an old rubbermaid, or hinges etc lying around.

Measure all the pieces, zip tie it all together, and that's pretty much it!

Thanks and good luck

-tj

Attachments

• Encvert.jpg
    Encvert.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 372
  • Encinsidebottom.jpg
    Encinsidebottom.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 256
  • Lightenclosureanddoor.jpg
    Lightenclosureanddoor.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 228
  • Clyde.jpg
    Clyde.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 240
I mean I really like this setup though.... only with screen added to the bottom I def wanna try this... maybe not that big... but I was curious how u did the doors? I mean I dont see the doors.... can u drill hinges into pvc?

Thanks for the comments!

Anithesis - I feed with tongs, or I will sometimes put the feeder insects in that ceramic bowl if they are shy that day. Normally that is not sitting in the enclosure. But of course there have been many escapees haha

Leroux & Sue - A screen would be a great idea! It might make it a little harder to clean the drainage tub, though. As it is, I can reach inside and clean it out with a paper towel every few days. I do have ropes extending almost (but not to) the floor of the tub. On the few occasions when they have climbed down for a trapped meal, they can go right back up.

- Hinges - On Pic 3, It shows a view of the open door and light enclosure. The door is also made of PVC, little standard hinges from the store worked perfectly. In this pic you can see the hinges shining to the left of the heat lamps.

Thanks for the comments!

Anithesis - I feed with tongs, or I will sometimes put the feeder insects in that ceramic bowl if they are shy that day. Normally that is not sitting in the enclosure. But of course there have been many escapees haha

Leroux & Sue - A screen would be a great idea! It might make it a little harder to clean the drainage tub, though. As it is, I can reach inside and clean it out with a paper towel every few days. I do have ropes extending almost (but not to) the floor of the tub. On the few occasions when they have climbed down for a trapped meal, they can go right back up.

- Hinges - On Pic 3, It shows a view of the open door and light enclosure. The door is also made of PVC, little standard hinges from the store
worked perfectly. In this pic you can see the hinges shining to the left of the
heat lamps.

What about a screen bottom on the enclosure itself, and just remove the rope to floor, just a thought:)

Yep, furcifer verrucosus. Giant Spiny. This is the male, Clyde. The female is gorgeous but shy, I'll try to get a pic up of her soon.

I think thats the kind of chameleon i want to get next, so cool lookin. are they pretty much the same upkeep as a panther or veiled?

I have only ever had Jacksons and these, but I believe it is close. Vegas Chad at Tiki Tiki is the only one I know who of who may have Verrus semi-soon. December I think, if they're eggs go right.

I think thats the kind of chameleon i want to get next, so cool lookin. are they pretty much the same upkeep as a panther or veiled?

I kept mine sort of between a veiled and a panther...they are native to the drier hotter areas of SW Madagascar. Dry doesn't mean low humidity, just not soaking wet as often. And yes, they can burn themselves so you won't need any higher power basking bulbs. They are shyer, not as assertive as veileds, but not as social as many panthers either. My male would get the most beautiful turquoise spots on his gular area when fired up. Loved the pattern of beading on his skin too. Beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom