DIY Cages lighting setup:

chamchamdude

I recently purchased a cage form DIYcages.com (24x24x48)
I put 2x 21" jungle dawn Grow n Glow LED 1x 18" VUB 10.0 Florescent
and a 250wt Ceramic heat emitter for his basking spot...
I'm HOPING to get my hands on a juvenile ambilobe panther chameleon BUT! Before I do that, I want to make sure the cage is 100%....
Now, here's the questions:

(1)Should I mount the UVB light fixture inside the cage or, should I leave it on top of the screen? The box suggests with really fine mesh screen mounting inside! But water and electricity DO NOT MIX! What so ever...

(2) The ceramic heater maybe too hot during the summer months...Haven't taken a reading of the basking area yet. What is the MAX temp that any of you would suggest?

Ill try to post some pictures tomorrow.

HI Cham dude...

Thanks for doing the Grow and Glows!
I hope you LOVE THEM!
but....
YIKES!
That ceramic heat emitter must be far far away from the Jungle Dawn® Glow and Grow
because heat *kills* ANY LED unit faster than a chameleons tongue on a juicy cricket.:eek:
(and it voids ALL warranty.:()

HEY!
Yes, by all means, please post pics so we can all take a look.:D:D

If it is a 10.0 bulb , I would not mount it in the cage because you are right!
It is not good if you mix electricity and water and it is just a personal thing of mine, I hate to see fixtures in cages with climbing herps where animals can climb on / near them and "touch" them.

If the light bulb is in a fixture with a poor reflector,

you could use reflective tape or tin foil (shiny side) behind the bulb, or even one of these beauties:

http://www.arcadia-reptile.com/fluorescent-lamp-reflectors-t5t8/

These simply clip on the bulb and fit behind the bulb as a highly polished reflector that punches up the UV to help compensate for the loss through the screen.

I ma sure you are already aware, but a solarmeter 6.2 OR 6.5 would be a good investment if you can afford one.
I have to say it,
and it is not just because I sell them...
but a solar-meter is the is the only real way to get the REAL handle on anyone's UV situation.:eek:
Whether someone buys one from me....
or anyone who sells them ...
it doesn't matter...
but they really do take ALL the guesswork right out of the UV equation!
(But I know how expensive they are and it is hard for folks to afford them.)

A 250w ceramic heater seems like a bit much.... plus it will also reduce whatever ambient humidity there is in the general vicinity to "zip".

I could be wrong if it is a real cold room your set up is in...
but under normal circumstances, only a 75 - 100 watt one would be better choice, that is, if you feel you even need one....

and you are using a basking lamp too I would imagine?
Yes?

Good luck with the little bugger and I will check back on this post for pics!
:)

Thank you!
Cheers!
Todd

WARNING:

Since this seems like a good time -

I am going to put this out there.

Since LED is the wave of the future,
and we will be seeing more and more LED used over Chams.

ANY LED light product MUST BE KEPT AWAY FROM ANY HEAT GENERATING APPLIANCE >>>> including incandescent bulbs <<< !

All LED units are designed to dissipate heat with "finned" or ribbed housing to get rid of heat.

The cooler any LED unit runs, the longer it will last.

Period.

Because LED lighting appliances are designed to dissipate heat effectively,
they unfortunately can also TAKE ON or absorb heat too from the surrounding environment.

KEEP ALL HEAT Generating "things" at least 8" + or MORE away from LED lights.

In the case of a ceramic radiant heater, keep them 18" or more away!

I recently purchased a cage form DIYcages.com (24x24x48)
I put 2x 21" jungle dawn Grow n Glow LED 1x 18" VUB 10.0 Florescent
and a 250wt Ceramic heat emitter for his basking spot...
I'm HOPING to get my hands on a juvenile ambilobe panther chameleon BUT! Before I do that, I want to make sure the cage is 100%....
Now, here's the questions:

(1)Should I mount the UVB light fixture inside the cage or, should I leave it on top of the screen? The box suggests with really fine mesh screen mounting inside! But water and electricity DO NOT MIX! What so ever...

(2) The ceramic heater maybe too hot during the summer months...Haven't taken a reading of the basking area yet. What is the MAX temp that any of you would suggest?

Ill try to post some pictures tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom