Disinfect for new chameleon

vgaines

My chameleon passed way this morning and I am thinking about getting another one this weekend if I can find one that is older and bigger than Raine was. She was less than a month old and I will never buy one that little again. My question is this. What is the best way to disinfect the all screen cage and all of the stuff inside. I have a piece of sanded grape vine that is almost three feet tall plus the fake vines and one live plant. I want to have the cage all set up just in case I come home with a new baby this weekend. I will be in the Corpus Christi area and am hoping I can find someone there that has some babies for sale. I am very nervous of getting one shipped to me and would like to see before I purchase. I don't think I could handle watching another one die so I want to make sure he/she is healthy. I would love to purchase a veiled from someone on this forum so if anyone is close to Galveston or Corpus Christi please let me know.

Thanks,
Virginia:cool:

Sorry to hear about your loss :(
I either use water and Vinegar, or flukers organic cleaner, both work well, and wash away clean. If you do go with a cleaner, remember less is more, you don't want major suds going on, cause you want to make sure everything is washed away completely.
Good luck on finding the perfect cham!

Oh, another great learning thread--I've been wondering how to clean up a couple of tanks, one of which was Lea's (rescue cham who didn't make it, for those who haven't heard of her). I wouldn't want to use those tanks for chams--they aren't appropriate--but for Phelsumas and I've wondered--

is Wipe Out 1 safe to use for chameleons and other delicate lizards?

That's what I was planning to use, but I want to be sure! If it is, maybe it's another possibility for Virginia.

Thanks for letting me piggy-back on this, Virginia--hopefully it'll add to the discussion rather than highjacking it!

Sandy

Oh, another great learning thread--I've been wondering how to clean up a couple of tanks, one of which was Lea's (rescue cham who didn't make it, for those who haven't heard of her). I wouldn't want to use those tanks for chams--they aren't appropriate--but for Phelsumas and I've wondered--

is Wipe Out 1 safe to use for chameleons and other delicate lizards?

That's what I was planning to use, but I want to be sure! If it is, maybe it's another possibility for Virginia.

Thanks for letting me piggy-back on this, Virginia--hopefully it'll add to the discussion rather than highjacking it!

Sandy

Not a problem at all. I have learned SO much from everyone on here and I want to continue to learn and if there is anything I can contribute I all for it.
:cool:

Not a problem at all. I have learned SO much from everyone on here and I want to continue to learn and if there is anything I can contribute I all for it.
:cool:

You and me both!! This is a wonderful forum! I love the friendly, helpful, and respectful attitudes of the members here, and I am having a blast learning from everyone!

Thanks for sharing, Virginia!

Sandy

Sorry to hear I was thinking hot water and air drying? by the time the new cham arrives it should be nice and dry unless u feel their was disease? then well.. something stronger but cannot think what at this time. I know dawn dish soap can be used on birds.. well I saw it on some oil spill clips but haven't heard anything of it for reptiles. I do know that the vinegar smell will dissipate soon enough though. It effective mixed w water or straight. Not sure what parts though. I have only ever just guessed at it.

Well, I did the vinegar thing. Sprayed everything down and the ran hot water over it for several minutes. Now I will let it dry before I set it back up. Gonna get everything just right before I bring home a new baby. I wont be back home until Sunday so the stuff will have several days to air dry....Will update and post pictures as soon as I get a new baby..

I use Lobactin mixed with water to 200-300ppm. Its a food grade santizer used in meat markets.Its sprayed on after clean up to kill all the bad bugs unseen to the human eye..It evaporate's leaving zero residue behind.I wash my cages out good,Spray on and let it air dry.I have been using it for a couple years with no issues.I even use it for spot cleaning the cage bottoms.You can find it a local butcher,or resturant supply companys. It FDA tested and aproved food grade.....I know its a over kill but a 10-12 dollar gallon will last years....

Back
Top Bottom