disabled chameleon

This poor baby! My heart hurts for what he’s probably been thru. 😥 Taking on the care of this very unfortunate little one is going to be a huge challenge for even an experienced keeper. Obviously he has a good fighting spirit, but you do need to ask yourself if you are going to be able to shell out hundreds of dollars in getting the correct things he needs and yes, he does need a vet to evaluate and treat him. I’m sure you already love the little guy and want to make his life better, but you need to look at your ability to do that. Proper UVB, supplements, enclosure, feeders, plants, vet, etc all add up but are absolutely essential, especially in his condition. To not provide him all he needs is just going to further add to his health problems and will most likely lead to a prolonged suffering until he finally gives up and passes away. Please, one way or the other you need to be strong and not let him suffer anymore, either thru correct care or euthanasia. Neither will be easy, but let your love for him guide your decision to do right by the little man.

Welcome to the forum.
So sorry for that poor little chameleon.
Did you buy it or did they give it to you??

[*]Your Chameleon - hes a veiled chameleon. i dont know his sex i just asumed he was a male he was got from petco a week ago but was much lager then all the other becuse peoplke didnt want a disabled chameleon LOOKS LIKE A MALE TO ME...THANK GOODNESS...NO REPRODUCTIVE ISSUES WITH TO WORRY ABOUT.
[*]Handling - um every day but i haven't been picking him up just i he want to go oin my hand BE CAREFUL...HANDLING MAY DAMAGE HIM FURTHER.
[*]Feeding - meal worms but he hasen't ate sense he been picked up IMHO YOU NEED TO GET SOME CRICKETS AND OTHER INSECTS BESIDES MEALWORMS.
[*]Supplements - i have calisam i think the brand is zoo med but i haven't used it yet ITS RECOMMENDED THAT YOU DUST THE INSECTS LIGHTLY JUST BEFORE FEEDING THEM TO THE CHAMELEON WITH A PHIS FREE CALCIUM POWDER AT ALL FEEDINGS A WEEK BUT ONE. ON THE ONE FEEDING EACH WEEK ALTERNATE BETWEEN A VITAMIN POWDER WITH A PREFORMED SOURCE OF VITMAIN A AND A PHOS FREE CALCIUM/D3 POWDER.

[*]Watering - i have a water driper driping on to leaves i mist twicee a day a have not seen him drinking but he seems to like to sit under the leaves were the water is WHAT COLOR ARE HIS URATES?
[*]Fecal Description - no test for parasites no poop that ive seen
[*]History - brand new
[/LIST]

Cage Info:

• Cage Type-screen pretty large i think 18x 18 x 36
  • Lighting - zoo med #fs-c5m and a zoomed blue bulb it dose not have a item num they get turned on a 8 am and off at 9pm HE WOUKD BE BETTER OFF IN A HOSPITAL CAGE FOR NOW...LONG AND LOW. USE LOTE OF HORIZONTAL BRANCHES SO HE DOESNT HAVE TO CLIMB HIGH FOR NOW.
  • Temperature - cage floor-65 basking spot-75 not the highest point in the tank put the highest point he can reach- Lowest overnight temp 66- How do you measure these temps two zoo med thermomiters on digital one analog -farinheight BASKING AREA NEEDS TO BE 89F WHERE HE'S SITTING.
  • Humidity - 65% meshering usding a zoo med analog temp and humiity
  • Plants - plastic VEILEDS WILL NIBBLE ON PLANTS SOMITS IMPORTANT TO USE NONTOXIC REAL WELL WASHED (BOTH SIDES OF THE LEAVES) PLANTS.
  • Placement -siting on the floor beside my desk no fans or vents IT SHOULD BE RAISED UP ON A DESK OR STAND OR TABLE.
  • Location - Montana

Current Problem - wont eat - cant reach basking spot
[/QUOTE]
ITS LIKELY HE'S NOT EATING BECAUSE HE'S TOOL COOL.
HOPEFULLY HE WILL DRINK.

I'M NOT A VET...AND HE SHOULD SEE ONE TO DETERMINE IF ITS MBD OR NOT AND HIW TO TREAT IT...BUT I'M PRETTY SURE IT IS.
IF IT MBD HE WILL NEED LIQUID CALCIUM IN ADDITION TO THE USUAL SUPPLEMENTS ASAP. THE LIQUID CALCIUM WILL NEED TO BE CONTINUED UNTIL THE BONES ARE STRONG AGAIN. THE DAMAGE THAT HAS BEEN DONE TO HIS LIMBS WILL NOT BE REPAIRED BY THIS BUT HE DOUKD LIVE A REASONABLE LIFE IF THE MBD IS CORRECTED.

IF YOU CANT HELP HIM BY CORRECTING THE MBD...ASSUMING THATS WHAT IT IS, THEN IF
T WOULD BE BETTER FOR HIM TO BE PUT DOWN. ANITHER OPTION IS TO GIVE HIM TO A CHAMELEON RESCUE PLACE.

HOPE THIS HELPS. GOOD LUCK WITH HIM.

Good to hear he's improving. What have you been doing to help him?

Can you post a few more photos or video of him from now please.

hes eating but still less then he should and he has to be hand fed he has learned to clumb up and down his tank really well and he seems to be doing great
Good he’s doing okay so far and to have chosen for him. For the long term, please share info as @Ares05 requested. You got a very special case and you can use all info, help and experience that’s around here to give him the best possible life.

Just because he seems doing better and more active doesn't mean things don't have to be changed... just a reminder. :) Husbandry is important, and just because something seems to be working doesn't mean call it good and leave it.

Back
Top Bottom