Dimming thermostats

Malepanther123

Hello,
I have two male panther chameleons. Was interested in a dimming thermostat for them. I go with basking temps of 85f. I use a dimming switch. But recently got a 96f reading when outdoor temps reached 70f. They read from 60-150$. Just seeing if anyone has used them or have experience with them. I see ones like herpstat an expensive an also habistat for 80. Just debating on getting 2 of them. Or just keep a closer eye on basking temps. If anyone use them where do you place probe? Basking branch or upper center of enclosure.

I don't use them, but what about getting lightbulbs of different wattages? This way when temperatures rise outside you can just change out the bulbs to a lower wattage. Mine are all in a reptile room, and during the summer months I run the ceiling fan on low to help with the temperatures and that also seems to work. Good luck!

Hello,
I have two male panther chameleons. Was interested in a dimming thermostat for them. I go with basking temps of 85f. I use a dimming switch. But recently got a 96f reading when outdoor temps reached 70f.
Does this mean we're talking about outdoor enclosures?

I don't use them, but what about getting lightbulbs of different wattages? This way when temperatures rise outside you can just change out the bulbs to a lower wattage. Mine are all in a reptile room, and during the summer months I run the ceiling fan on low to help with the temperatures and that also seems to work. Good luck!
Good idea currently using 75watts with a dimmer. Can get 60watts an maybe 50watts. Be cheaper just haven't seen 50watts in while.

For chameleons no. Actually never thought of housing them outside.
Then I'm confused what the outdoor temp of 70F had/has to do with your basking temp reaching 96F(?) :unsure: Maybe your indoor numbers fluctuate more depending on outdoor numbers(?)

Anyway, my enclosure temps & humidities are stable (or as stable as the house readings)—within a degree/percent or two except if there's an outage.

My beardie's temps need to run a little higher (but not too high), so I have a thermostatically controlled muffin fan that kicks on @90F and off again @ 88F (which keeps his numbers stable as well).

If anyone use them where do you place probe? Basking branch or upper center of enclosure.
FWIW, I don't have a need for dimmers, but I do monitor several places in the enclosure with inexpensive digital hygrometer/thermometers with probes. I use the same type in all our enclosures.

In the chameleon enclosure I have probes:
  • On the basking site
  • Upper center of enclosure outside the plant canopy
  • Near enclosure top inside the plant canopy
  • Where he sleeps
  • Near the bottom of the enclosure
I mist several times throughout the night, which lowers temps/raises humidity—especially inside the canopy & where he sleeps.

Back
Top Bottom