Dimming Thermostat and why I love it!

It looks likes it could work. But I believe it doesn’t dim and will only turn off your heating light (our which light you connect to it) which will lower the temps and then turn on when the minimum temperature is reached.
Excuses in advanced, because my perception of dimming is, that it will dim the output 🙈

It looks likes it could work. But I believe it doesn’t dim and will only turn off your heating light (our which light you connect to it) which will lower the temps and then turn on when the minimum temperature is reached.
Excuses in advanced, because my perception of dimming is, that it will dim the output 🙈
Do u have a example of a dimmer I could use?

Yeah so this one is an on/off device. It literally turns the fixture completely off or on full strength of the wattage output on the bulb. Better than nothing typically these have a few degrees in which they drop or gain before either function kicks in. This is where they get a bit wonky especially when you are trying to ensure temps max for a female are 78-80. I prefer the dimming ones. The light fixture dims up or down based on the temp and what it needs to accommodate. So too hot and it dims the bulb down too cold and it dims it up to full brightness which gives full heat output. They are a little more expensive but not too bad. I run a herpstat for mine.

Yeah so this one is an on/off device. It literally turns the fixture completely off or on full strength of the wattage output on the bulb. Better than nothing typically these have a few degrees in which they drop or gain before either function kicks in. This is where they get a bit wonky especially when you are trying to ensure temps max for a female are 78-80. I prefer the dimming ones. The light fixture dims up or down based on the temp and what it needs to accommodate. So too hot and it dims the bulb down too cold and it dims it up to full brightness which gives full heat output. They are a little more expensive but not too bad. I run a herpstat for mine.
i cant seem to find a photo where it shows how to set it up, and what it looks like with a cage

Oops, Ya the herpstat. sorry for not being specific
So for set up you plug the basking fixture into the herpstat then plug the probe into the herpstat. The probe has a really long cord. I run that up the back of the cage and down through a tiny hole in the top screen panel on the back of the cage. Then run it down the back of the enclosure over to the basking branch wrap it a few times around the branch so it is secure and then add a small zip tie to secure the probe to the side of the branch without totally zipping it down. You want it secure but not squeezing the wire.

Then plug in the herpstat and go through the set up. Set up on mine was a little bit of a learning curve. But you set it to dimming function then you set your temp and the hours that the system starts and stops. I have other settings off on mine like noise alerts. I did have to read the instructions to understand how to go through all the settings.

This is the one you would need. The other types simply just control more than one fixture which you would not need with one cham. Unless you plan to buy another chameleon then you would want one of the others like the herpstat 2 which controls two. You might be able to find the herpstat 1 cheaper other places. I just googled and grabbed this link for you.

https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/who...s-timers/2793-herpstat-1-spyder-robotics.html

So for set up you plug the basking fixture into the herpstat then plug the probe into the herpstat. The probe has a really long cord. I run that up the back of the cage and down through a tiny hole in the top screen panel on the back of the cage. Then run it down the back of the enclosure over to the basking branch wrap it a few times around the branch so it is secure and then add a small zip tie to secure the probe to the side of the branch without totally zipping it down. You want it secure but not squeezing the wire.

Then plug in the herpstat and go through the set up. Set up on mine was a little bit of a learning curve. But you set it to dimming function then you set your temp and the hours that the system starts and stops. I have other settings off on mine like noise alerts. I did have to read the instructions to understand how to go through all the settings.

This is the one you would need. The other types simply just control more than one fixture which you would not need with one cham. Unless you plan to buy another chameleon then you would want one of the others like the herpstat 2 which controls two. You might be able to find the herpstat 1 cheaper other places. I just googled and grabbed this link for you.

https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/who...s-timers/2793-herpstat-1-spyder-robotics.html
Thank you! I think I understand now!

Is this the same thing?

https://spyderrobotics.com/index.ph..._id=24&zenid=32741bea129edf13c1ba1f7b3f4d92e4

I love the herpstat thermostats!
I have two herpstat2’s and a 4

I really think all heat sources should be on a digital dimming thermostat (I know that’s tough for all you guys with tons of Chams). Just as @Beman said, your daily temps will fluctuate a lot, and your dimmer will compensate for that. If you’re running just a few enclosures, I definitely think it’s worth the investment

Back
Top Bottom